Re: [L3sm] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model-17.txt

<stephane.litkowski@orange.com> Thu, 13 October 2016 08:00 UTC

From: stephane.litkowski@orange.com
To: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>, "rtg-ads@ietf.org" <rtg-ads@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 08:00:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Cc: "l3sm@ietf.org" <l3sm@ietf.org>, "rtg-dir@ietf.org" <rtg-dir@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [L3sm] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model-17.txt

Many thanks Les,

I will take care of your comments asap.

Regarding QoS, I agree that there is a kind of overlap with network element config.
For classification, there is no other choice, customer must provide information about its flows and class mapping. This can be achieved through an abstracted way (using application match) or a less one (flow match) which is more similar to a router config. But we have no choice, it's impossible to match all flows using predefined applications.

For scheduling, this is linked to the fact that some customers are using pre-defined SP templates (GOLD, SILVER ...) that are abstracted , but as part of the service, some SP also propose customizable QoS models where the customer can define its own scheduling policy, that's why it also looks like a router config.

I think it's hard to remove those non abstracted parts (especially classification) as it's widely used today.

Brgds,