Re: [L3sm] [l3sm] #7 (draft-ltsd-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model): Generic VAS

Maxim Klyus <klyus@NetCracker.com> Tue, 29 September 2015 19:02 UTC

From: Maxim Klyus <klyus@NetCracker.com>
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>, "l3sm@ietf.org" <l3sm@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 19:01:33 +0000
Cc: "draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [L3sm] [l3sm] #7 (draft-ltsd-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model): Generic VAS

Hi Qin,

My comments inline.

[MK] You are correct regarding my proposal, but I don't think we need to concern much about "dependency fact" because in my perception we just keep the opportunity to use other IETF models (existing or TBD) for the L3SM model. In other
[MK] words L3SM model don't need to be dependent on other models since it just can refer to it in terms of VAS leaf where we defining only basic generic attributes not more.

> [MK] I don't want to put every VAS details within VPN model because I don't think it will be the good solution.

>>>[Qin]: Yes, I agree we don't need to put VAS details, but we should add key requirements for VAS from customer perspective. E.g., redundancy or resilience is one of key requirements for VAS.

> [MK] But yes VAS can contain a reference to IETF QoS classification service model which already exist and can be used for traffic reclassification.

>> [Qin] Also VAS can act on network layer or other OSI layer, do we
>>need to care which layer it is applied? Do we need to distinct VAS placed within the site from VAS placed between any two site?
>> [Qin] What else we need to consider? Transport dependency? Traffic Selection?

> [MK] I'm not sure again. Yes, theoretically we can call - "VAS" everything, but in my mind it should be reference to some models we can define (or already defined by IETF) and reuse later.

>>>[Qin]: That's a good point, We should reference that is more relevant to L3VPN service model, e.g.,
>>>https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rfernando-bess-service-chaining-01
>>>https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fm-bess-service-chaining-01
>>>https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-fang-l3vpn-data-center-interconnect-03.txt
>>>https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-fang-l3vpn-virtual-ce-03.txt
>>>https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-virtual-pe-00

>>>we should also reference some other work that have already been defined by IETF, more focus on the work that should at least be working group draft or a document agreed by IETF working group.
>>>https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-virtual-pe-00
>>>right now, virtual CE hasn't get agreed by BESS working group. Virtual PE got a good progress and have become a WG draft.

> [MK] Let take some concrete example like vCPE/vCE
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fu-dmm-vcpe-models-00

>>>[Qin]: The idea of vCPE is just to shift functionality provided by CPE to the network side.
>>>Do you think vCPE or vCE is a VAS or not? I thought L4 to L7 service function can be regarded as VAS.

[MK] I think vCPE and vCE are definitely the VASs (constituent VAS if I will be more exact). In my understanding VAS - is something can be proposed to customer as finished service (customer faced).
[MK] But you are right VAS also can be represented with more simple services based on L4 and L7 functions (DPI, Firewall,NAT, etc...) and even L3 (like virtual routers)

> [MK] vCPE can cover many OSI layers, but I really don't know what we need to consider about this fact?

[Qin]: You are right, whether it is layer 4 or layer 7, it doesn't matter.
>[Qin]: The reason to consider this is we have various VAS located from
>Layer 4 to Layer 7,  [MK] VAS in the middle is possible, good example btw, but I don't see if VAS placement plays much sense.

>>>[Qin]: Yes, VAS can be placed anywhere as the customer wants. If we consider a set of VAS placement, e.g., https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sfc-dc-use-cases
>>>maybe VAS placement matters.

[MK] Need time to think on it.

>>>We should make sure which scenario the L3SM service model is dealing with?
>>>(1) Service model that is only applied to traditional L3VPN network, the traditional L3VPN is extended to DC network through vPE, vPE is only deployed in DC network, L3SM service model provides cloud access container to allow customer in >>>the traditional L3VPN network to access to internet or Cloud/DC network.
>>>(2) Service model that is generic enough to apply to not only traditional L3VPN network but also DC network, I hope we are dealing with (2).

[MK] I hope so, option 2 is more interesting.

> [MK] Traffic selection (path selection?) is more addressed to TE models if I understand you right.

>>>[Qin]: See
>>>https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7498
>>>I am wondering how many requirements applied to Service chaining are also applied to VAS?

[MK] Here I'm not sure if SFC can be recognized like a VAS.

>Regards,
>Max Klyus

-Qin