Re: draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-04.txt

Scott Wainner <swainner@cisco.com> Fri, 29 July 2005 20:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:43:19 -0400
From: Scott Wainner <swainner@cisco.com>
To: raszuk@cisco.com
Cc: l3vpn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-04.txt
Sender: l3vpn-bounces@ietf.org

Robert Raszuk wrote:

> Scott,
>
> The question is valid and the automated solution to the problem has
> been proposed many times :)
>
> Just for the reference please look at the below draft:
>
> http://community.roxen.com/developers/idocs/drafts/draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-tunnel-encap-sig-01.html

or alternatively ..
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nalawade-kapoor-tunnel-safi-03.txt

Nevertheless, something must be signaled by the egress PE.

> Before we finalize the automated way the provisioning tools are
> responsible for selecting the encapsulation of choice.

Certainly, a provisioning tool could specify the use of GRE, IP, or LSP
encap; however, it would have to be done on a per peer basis.

In addition,  a distinct tunnel end-point cannot be distinguished from
the Next Hop address without reverting back to statically configuring IP
tunnel end-points.

Seems these requirements defeat the purpose of the draft.

Scott