Re: Comments on draft-morin-l3vpn-mvpn-considerations-01.txt

Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net> Fri, 14 December 2007 14:02 UTC

To: erosen@cisco.com
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:01:23 -0800
From: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
Cc: l3vpn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Comments on draft-morin-l3vpn-mvpn-considerations-01.txt

Eric,

> I have carefully  reread draft-morin-l3vpn-mvpn-considerations-01.txt, and I
> have a number of comments.
>
> In  general, I  think the  authors have  done  a good  job in  trying to  be
> even-handed, but  I think there are some  errors in the details,  and I also
> think that some of  the risks and overheads involved in the  use of BGP have
> not been fully considered.

You fail to provide any specific facts below on the subject of risks
and overhead. Hence this can hardly be used as an objection against
progressing this document as a WG draft (see below for more...).

>  I also don't think that the different flavors of
> MPLS multicast  LSPs have  been carefully considered.

Agreed on this. However, considering different flavors of MPLS
multicast LSPs can be done after the document becomes a WG draft.
Remember that for a document to become a WG draft it doesn't have
to be perfect.

>    I would like  to see
> some of these issues addressed before adopting it as a WG draft.

See the previous comment.

> On the general issue of comparing PIM vs. BGP, while the draft does not make
> a recommendation, it  is heavy on PIM's disadvantages  and BGP's advantages.
> So I  think it is  worth listing some  of the risk areas  of BGP.  I  do not
> believe that  any of  these are "showstoppers"  for BGP, but  they certainly
> should  be articulated  in  any document  that  purports to  be providing  a
> balanced view.

The viewpoints should be based on rational *technical* arguments
and not FUD, and/or exercise in political correctness.

> - As BGP  is generally  used, BGP churn  is a  function of real  or apparent
>   topology changes.  BGP churn is NOT generally caused by enduser events.
>   This changes when  BGP is used to distribute  multicast routes.  BGP churn
>   can now  be initiated by PIM  Joins, and a PIM  Join may be  the result of
>   some enduser clicking  a button on his PC (e.g.,  "receive video").  it is
>   not clear that there is any limit on the rate at which such enduser events
>   can occur.  We do not appear to  have adequate data from which we can draw
>   conclusions as to the impact of enduser actions on BGP churn.
>
>   It is easy to offer opinions about this, but facts are scarce.

Precisely. So why should the draft talk about this since facts are
scarce ?

Moreover, what we are talking about here are two things (a) changes
in the multicast state on PEs due to receiving PIM Join/Prune from
CEs, and (b) a particular mechanism to propagate such changes among
PEs. The issue here is not "BGP churn", but the control plane load
due to (b). You failed to explain why control plane load due to (b)
would be less with PIM than with BGP.

> - In some  multicast applications, "join  latency" is considered to  be very
>   important.  No  one has ever claimed  BGP will provide  lower join latency
>   than  PIM, the only  real question  is whether  latency will  be increased
>   beyond  the  limits  that   some  applications  find  acceptable.   Again,
>   different people have  different opinions about how much  this will matter
>   in practice, but hard data is hard to come by.

Again you fail to provide facts. This is just FUD. Moreover since PIM is
based on unreliable message exchange, "join latency" with PIM could be in
10s of seconds.

> - Churn  vs. latency:  To  control the  BGP  churn, we  have discussed  such
>   features as  Join Dampening.   However, that can't  be expected to  have a
>   salutary effect on the latency!
>
>   There really should  be some recognition in the draft  that the effects on
>   latency and churn are as yet poorly understood.

Section 16 of draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp discusses this in
sufficient detail. Moreover, Join Dampening is one, but not the
only one way to control control plane load. Another one is dampening
of withdrawls, which is described in Section 16.1. And quoting from
that section:

  "Dampening of withdrawals of C-multicast routes does not impede the
   multicast join latency observed by MVPN customers,"

Since you are a co-author on that draft, you should be aware of this.

> - Any time a new high volume address family is added to BGP. it is important
>   to consider  the impact on  the route reflectors,  and whether it  will be
>   necessary to add  new route reflectors, perhaps ones  dedicated to the new
>   family.  One should also consider the impact (especially on the RRs) which
>   one address family  may have on another, e.g.,  will an unexpectedly large
>   amount  of churn  due  to PIM  cause  a slowdown  in  the unicast  routing
>   convergence.  There should be some discussion of this.

Section 15 of draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp addresses this.
Since you are a co-author on that draft you should be aware of this.
And if you think something is missing, you as a co-author should
be able to add the appropriate text to that draft.

> - Transactional nature of PIM
>
>   At first glance,  it may seem that having  PIM distribute multicast routes
>   to BGP is no different than  having OSPF distribute unicast routes to BGP,
>   i.e., that it is really  nothing new.  However, this isn't quite accurate.
>   The issue  is that PIM isn't really  a "routing protocol" in  the sense of
>   choosing  routes  based   on  topology.   It  is  a   protocol  that  uses
>   router-to-router  transactions  to construct  paths  and  assign flows  to
>   paths. In  some cases, especially when  Sparse Mode flows  are involved, a
>   number of  transactions involving  multiple nodes may  need to  take place
>   before the multicast "routing" stabilizes.  Each one of these transactions
>   must  pass through  the RR,  placing more  load on  the RR  and increasing
>   latency.

Can you give a precise example ?

>   In  some  cases, where  PIM-SM  has  data-driven  state changes,  we  have
>   attempted  to avoid  putting the  data-driven state  changes into  BGP, by
>   having BGP send extra  messages, including timer-driven messages.  While I
>   tend to think that this is the right tradeoff, it does modify the dynamics
>   of path construction,  and we don't have any hard data  to tell us whether
>   we've made the right tradeoff,  or whether the "right tradeoff" depends on
>   just how the applications are using multicast.

As worded above this is yet another FUD.

> - Strange uses of PIM
>
>   Talk  to  anyone  with a  lot  of  experience  in  PIM deployment  in  the
>   enterprise, and you'll hear lots of  strange stories about how PIM is used
>   in some enterprises.   Although PIM is optimized for  "many receivers, few
>   sources", it isn't always used  that way.  I've also heard anecdotes about
>   applications that make assumptions about the dynamic nature of PIM and may
>   break if  anything changes.   As usual,  hard data is  hard to  find.  But
>   there's always a risk that when you change the infrastructure underneath a
>   crufty old application you will break the application.  There are people I
>   respect, with  much more experience  in multicast deployment than  I have,
>   who think it's  just foolish to do anything that changes  the way in which
>   the infrastructure behaves for sparse mode.  While I am not convinced that
>   they are  right, I think that  this does have  to be recognized as  a risk
>   element.

This is yet another FUD.

> Now let's look at some of the topics covered in the draft.
>
> 1. From section 3.1, "the operational burden of setting up multicast on a PE
>    or for a VR/VRF SHOULD be as low as possible".
>
>    I certainly  agree with  this!  However, I  don't think it  combines well
>    with the  later recommendation to support outsourced  RPs.  Obviously the
>    use of outsourced RPs increases the operational burden for the provider.
>
>    I  note that  there doesn't  seem to  be any  requirement for  making the
>    operational burden  of MVPN on the  SP's customer be as  low as possible,
>    though such a requirement is  prominent in another SP requirements draft,
>    viz.,  draft-mnapierala-mvpn-part-reqt-00.txt.  Such a  requirement would
>    see to  militate against  the use  of the "outsourced  RP", at  least for
>    MVPN customers who already use  multicast.  (Which I imagine would be the
>    vast majority of them.)

First of all, it is for SPs to decide whether they want this option
or not,  as they are in a much better position than the vendors to
figure out whether this supposed additional burden offers a benefit.

Second, if you argue in favor of reducing operational burden of
MVPN on the SP's customers, then outsourcing RP does reduce such
burden, as it moves the burden of managing customer's RP from
customers to the service provider. In fact, this is fairly consistent
with the main point of 2547 VPNs - outsourcing routing to the service
provider. Outsourced RP is just an example of doing this in the
context of multicast.

Finally, the draft also requires to support non-outsourced RP as
well.

> 2. Auto-discovery
>
>    "BGP-based  auto-discovery is the  preferred solution  for auto-discovery
>    ...  while  PIM/shared-tree  based  auto-discovery should  be  optionally
>    considered for migration purposes only".
>
>    There isn't  really a  dichotomy here.  The  facts are that  if PIM-based
>    shared  trees  are  used,  BGP-based auto-discovery  doesn't  really  add
>    anything,  but in  any  other circumstance,  BGP-based auto-discovery  is
>    absolutely necessary.
>
>    But  if the recommendation  here is  to provide  BGP-based auto-discovery
>    even in the one case where  it isn't strictly needed, I certainly support
>    that recommendation.  This  is, in fact, already true  of the majority of
>    existing MVPN  deployments.  (Though  I have been  told that there  is at
>    lest one vendor which does not support it in existing deployments.)
>
>    There is a suggestion in the  draft that if PIM-based shared trees are in
>    use, BGP auto-discovery can  help detect misconfigurations.  I'm not sure
>    about that, as I can imagine  transition scenarios in which more than one
>    shared tree is in use at some time.

I don't see any strong objections here. But again, reflecting this
in the draft could be done after the draft gets accepted as an L3VPN
WG document.

> 3. Number of protocols
>
>    "if any additional protocols are introduced compared with the unicast VPN
>    service,  the  balance between  their  advantage  and operational  burden
>    SHOULD be examined thoroughly"
>
>    Well, who  could disagree with that?   The pros/cons of  any new protocol
>    should always be  examined thoroughly.  In fact, the  pros/cons of adding
>    new  functionality  to  existing  protocols  should  always  be  examined
>    thoroughly  as well.   As  should  the pros/cons  of  adding new  address
>    families, new procedures,  new dynamics, new events and  states, etc., to
>    existing protocols.
>
>    It is better to focus on the overall complexity of the system, and on the
>    overall  behavior  of  the system,  than  just  to  count the  number  of
>    protocols.

While there is nothing wrong in focusing "on the overall complexity
of the system", one should not ignore the fact that the number of
protocols required does impact the complexity.

> 4. S-PMSI Signaling
>
>    The BGP-based S-PMSI  signaling mechanism does have a  risk factor that I
>    have mentioned above, but that is not considered in the draft
>
>    In current practice,  BGP changes are caused by  topology changes, not by
>    end  user  activity.   However,   it  is  enduser  activity  that  causes
>    invocation of the S-PMSI signaling  mechanism.  We simply do not have the

This is not exactly accurate, as S-PMSI signaling is triggered not
by the PEs connected to the receivers, but by the PE connected to the
source.

>    data at  the present time  to determine how  much this will  increase the
>    amount of churn  in BGP.

Again this is FUD, and not based on any facts. Moreover, it ignores
the fact that what we really talking about here is the control
plane load due to S-PMSI signaling. Please explain why the control
plane load due to S-PMSI signaling with BGP be any more than with
UDP-based signaling.

>    The S-PMSI signaling is  also something that is
>    best done through a low latency  mechanism, and we do not at present have
>    the data to determine whether BGP will significantly increase the latency
>    when compared with the UDP-based proposal.

Perhaps you forgot that the UDP-based S-PMSI signaling doesn't have
a predictable bound on latency as its non-reliable. So a loss of a
message results in 60 secs latency.

And while we on this topic, could please quantify "significantly"
as you assert that "BGP will significantly increase the latency".

>    In theory,  the use of BGP  S-PMSI signaling has a  number of advantages,
>    but I  don't think  I would  recommend against the  use of  the UDP-based
>    procedure unless and until I had some data about these pragmatic issues.

This is yet another FUD.

>    By the  way, when I  say "data", I  don't mean "strongly held  and loudly
>    voiced  opinions", even  though the  latter are  sometimes  confused with
>    data.
>
>    "The  UDP-based protocol  is  restricted  to use  within  MVPNs using  an
>    MI-PMSI".
>
>    This fact seems to me to be  neither here nor there.  It is true that the
>    UDP-based protocol is unlikely to be useful unless PIM is the C-multicast
>    routing control protocol, in which case  you have an MI-PMSI.  If you are
>    using  BGP as  the C-multicast  routing protocol,  then you  have already
>    determined that you don't care if BGP churn is caused by enduser events.
>
>    The UDP-based S-PMSIs signaling is best considered as an optional part of
>    the  PIM C-multicast  routing control  plane, rather  than as  a separate
>    protocol with its own independent set of pros and cons.

This could be made after the draft is accepted as a WG document
(and it should be *based on the WG consensus*).

>    "the  use  of  the  UDP-based  protocol  does  not  preserve  AS  routing
>     independence  when  used in  an  inter-AS  option  B context  (i.e.  the
>     decision by  a PE in an  AS to use an  S-PMSI for a  given customer flow
>     will impact routing state in other ASes)
>
>    I  have no  idea what  this means,  so I  hope one  of the  authors will
>    explain.   (I also  don't  know what  is  meant by  the  claim that  the
>    BGP-based S-PMSI signaling  mechanism doesn't have whatever disadvantage
>    this is.)

It means couple of things. First of all, UDP based S-PMSI forces
all ASes to switch to the S-PMSI. In contrast with BGP based segmented
inter-AS S-PMSIs, each AS can decide on its own whether (a) to
propagate the S-PMSI or (b) aggregate S-PMSI into an I-PMSI.

Second, with UDP-based S-PMSI all the ASes have to use the same
tunneling technology. In contrast BGP-based S-PMSI supports segmented
inter-AS tunnels, which enables each AS to make its own choice with
respect to tunneling technology (something which is already supported
for 2547 unicast).

> 5. Off-loading processing onto route reflector
>
>    The claim is made that, when using BGP to carry C-multicast routes, "some
>    of  the processing burden  associated with  client multicast  routing [is
>    offloaded] onto BGP route reflectors"
>
>    I  would  like the  authors  to  specify  precisely what  this  offloaded
>    processing burden is.  Some consideration of its effect on existing L3VPN
>    route reflector systems would also be worthwhile.

As for the last "effect on existing L3VPN route reflector systems",
please note the the following text in Section 15 of
draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp:

   Moreover, Route Reflectors used for MVPN do not have to be
   used for VPN-IP routes

And as a reminder, you are a co-author on that draft !

>    As the  text is now, it is  very difficult to understand  or evaluate the
>    claim.
>

> 6. MI-PMSI issues
>
>    "Moreover, mechanisms one and two are restricted to use within MVPNs
>    using an MI-PMSI, thereby necessitating:
>
>    a.  The use of a P-multicast tree technique that allows shared trees
>        (for example PIM-SM in ASM mode or MP2MP LDP).
>
>    b.  The use of one P-multicast tree per PE per VPN, even for PEs that
>        do not have sources in their directly attached sites for that
>        VPN."
>
>    First,  claim b  is  not true,  as  explained in  draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-
>    profiles-00.txt, section 3.3.

What is described in section 3.3 of the sited draft restricts
tunneling technology to just *one* - mp2mp LSP with mLDP. As such
what is described in section 3.3 of the sited draft violates one
of the requirements from rfc4834:

    the control plane SHALL NOT depend on which forwarding plane is used

>    Second, the fact that a control  protocol requires that it be possible to
>    instantiate a P-tunnel as a shared tree  of some sort does not seem to be
>    to be  a "restriction" or disadvantage.   You might as well  say that the
>    use  of  BGP  for  C-multicast  routing has  the  disadvantage  of  being
>    "restricted"  to those networks  whose route  reflectors support  the BGP
>    C-multicast routing address family.
>
>    There are however some other things  that do seem to require the presence
>    of an MI-PMSI:   autoRP and BSR.  Since many  SP customers use autoRP/BSR
>    to discover  RPs, and since  it is not  clear how to provide  support for
>    these without an  MI-PMSI, I am not convinced that one  can do without an
>    MI-PMSI even if BGP is used for distributing C-multicast routes.

First of all, autoRP is a cisco proprietary technology. Asking
standars to support cisco proprietary technology is inappropriate.

Second, just because you are "not convinced", does not mean it can
not be done.  In fact, just to remind you, supporting BSR without
MI-PMSI has been explained in the presentation at the L3VPN WG
meeting (with you as one of the co-authors on that presentation).

> 7. BGP doesn't eliminate PIM anyway
>
>    "using BGP for customer routing distribution within multicast VPNs avoids
>    the introduction of an  additional protocol that would require additional
>    OAM processes and tools."
>
>    It's not as if  PIM is eliminated by BGP.  As long as  PIM is used on the
>    PE/CE links, the SP is still operating a PIM environment.

It is not the same as using PIM in the backbone.

Moreover, it is not just about eliminating PIM, but also about
having the same architecture for both unicast and multicast vs
requiring two fundamentally different architectures, one for unicast
(aggregated routing), and another for multicast (virtual routers).

>    In fact, there
>    may be significant  scaling problems due to PE-CE  PIM.  Some people with
>    years of PIM  experience believe that the PE-CE  PIM scaling problems are
>    actually worse  than the PE-PE PIM  scaling problems, and  hence that the
>    attempt  to improve PE-PE  scaling by  using BGP  just attacks  the wrong
>    problem.

Let the SPs speak up and tell us that !

>    In the absence of  actual data, the risk is that you  end up adding a lot
>    of NEW stuff and don't even address the scaling bottlenecks.
>
>    In  any  event, I'm  not  sure  I understand  how  adding  a  lot of  new
>    functionality  to BGP  (multicast  path  creation) is  going  to be  done
>    without the need for additional OAM processes and tools.

Without any specifics this statement is yet another FUD.

> 8. Consistency with unicast control mechanisms.
>
>    "An illustrative example of the benefit brought by consistency with
>    unicast design is how the "extranet" feature can be implemented :
>    when BGP-based mechanisms are used, the well defined and well
>    understood BGP route target import/export semantics are just reused."
>
>    This seems like a red  herring.  Extranet capability is already supported
>    in  the field  today  by existing  MVPN  deployments based  on PIM.   The
>    primary impact is really on the auto-discovery phase, not the C-multicast
>    routing phase.

What is "in the field today" is hardly based on reuse of 2547 unicast
mechanisms. And moreover, it uses a completely different architecture
(Virtual Routers).

In fact, can you explain why having one architecture for unicast
VPN (aggregated routing) and another architecture for multicast VPN
(virtual routers) is any better than having the same architecture
for both unicast and multicast VPN ?

> 9. Encapsulation techniques
>
>     I notice that  there is one particular data plane  technique that is not
>     addressed  by the  document, viz.,  the use  of ingress  replication and
>     transmission through  unicast tunnels.  It would be  interesting to know
>     whether SPs  have interest in this  technology; if not, maybe  it can be
>     removed from the  drafts.  (I think it adds  complexity and frankly, I'm
>     not sure it's fully and properly specified.)

As for the former, I will let SPs decide. As for the latter can you point
out *precisely* what is not "fully and properly specified" ?

>     I think section 3.4 can be taken as a requirement for both a "BGP + GRE"
>     profile  and a  "PIM +  MPLS" profile,  since it  seems to  advocate for
>     independence between the the control  plane and the data plane.  But I'm
>     not sure if that is what is intended, and would like clarification.
>
>     I would like  to see a specific recommendation for  the support of MP2MP
>     LSPs,  given their  importance in  C-bidir support  (for  either control
>     plane, see draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-  mcast-05.txt, section 12.2) and in
>     general MPLS  multicast support  for the PIM  control plane  (see draft-
>     rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-profiles-00.txt, section 3.3).

The flavor of MPLS multicast LSPs can be clarified after adopting this
as a WG draft.

> 10. Upstream-Assigned Labels, MI-PMSI, and Scalability
>
>     The  WG drafts frequently  discuss aggregation,  and the  possibility of
>     aggregation is frequently touted as a major scalability advantage.
>
>     What isn't always clear is  that all forms of S-PMSI aggregation require
>     a  major   new  MPLS  feature,   upstream-assigned  labels.   Supporting
>     upstream-assigned labels requires significant  changes to the data plane
>     processing  of  many  different  platforms,  and is  not  likely  to  be
>     available for some period of time.
>
>     So realistically, for  the foreseeable future, the use  of an MI-PMSI is
>     going  to remain  the  only  method of  aggregation.

Do you speak just for cisco, or for all other vendors as well ?

>     Unless a  service
>     provider does not care if their  P-routers have to maintain an amount of
>     multicast state  which is proportional to  the sum of the  states of all
>     their customers, the service provider should be requiring support for an
>     MI-PMSI.
>
>     As  a further  note,  it should  be  pointed out  that inter-AS  segment
>     S-PMSIs are on a per-PE basis, not a per-AS basis.  Therefore without the
>     aggregation that  can be obtained  from upstream-assigned labels,  it is
>     not clear that segmented inter-AS  S-PMSIs are scalable at all.

Are they less scalable than non-segmented inter-AS S-PMSIs ?

>     This is an issue which should be mentioned.
>
>     I think the draft should have a clear recommendation that in the absence
>     of upstream-assigned MPLS labels, MI-PMSIs should be used.

I-PMSI vs S-PMSI offers service providers a tradeoff between state and
b/w. Each service provider should be able to make such a tradeoff on its
own, without standards mandating a particular tradeoff (in your own words
"one size doesn't fit all")

With this in mind the recommendations should reflect position of
SPs, not vendors (and you are part of the latter, not the former).

> 11. Outsourced RPs
>
>     I  would like  to see  the  draft offer  much stronger  support for  its
>     recommendation to  implement outsourced RPs,  or else to  eliminate that
>     recommendation.
>
>     Outsourced RPs  (i.e., PE  as RP) have  a number of  disadvantages which
>     need to be given more emphasis:
>
>     - More work  for the PE (do  many SPs really want  to give a  lot of new
>       work to their PEs)?

If less work for the PEs is the goal, then one should not run 2547 VPNs,
but rather L2 VPN, or CE-based VPNs.

>     - Not  likely to  be  of much  interest  to customers  with an  existing
>       multicast infrastructure

Do you speak for the service providers ? As if not, then this is
to be determined by the service providers, not by vendors.

>     - Require  increased coordination  between SP  and  enterprise customer,
>       such as agreement on RP (or RPL) addresses.

Let's put this in a proper perspective (and strip the FUD).  For
all CE-PE links there has to be coordination between SP and customers
in terms of addresses used for these links. Requiring coordination
for *one more address* (and that is all what you need for outsourced
RP or RPL) does not seem like a significant increase.

>     - Not completely clear  how this works in scenarios  where an enterprise
>       gets VPN  service from two different providers,  particularly if there
>       is a site multihomed to two different providers.

What precisely is not "clear" ?

>     I presume  that the extra  operational work for  SP and customer  is not
>     going to be justified by the  fact that it simplifies things for some of
>     the SP's vendors.
>

> 12. The draft's conclusion
>
>    "Consequently, at the present time and until there is experience with
>    all of the proposed mechanisms it is not clear which of the above
>    mechanisms should be recommended as the preferred solution to
>    implementers.  However, it would appear prudent for implementations
>    to consider supporting both the fourth (BGP-based) and first (full
>    per-MPVN PIM peering) mechanisms.  Further experience on both
>    implementation is likely to be required before some best practice can
>    be defined."
>
>    I certainly agree with this  conclusion.  Perhaps it should be given more
>    prominence.
>

> 13. My conclusion
>
>     While  I do  think this  draft may  be a  good start  on the  project of
>     comparing the  different MVPN options, I  don't think it is  ready to be
>     adopted as a WG document, and it  needs a lot more work to deal with the
>     issues I have raised in this note.

Of the issues raised by you in the above the only legitimate ones
seems to be (a) more analysis on different flavor of multicast LSPs,
(b) whether there is a need for BGP-based auto-discovery with
PIM-based shared trees, and (c) whether the UDP-based S-PMSIs
signaling should be best considered as an optional part of the  PIM
C-multicast  routing control  plane.  All of these issues can be
addressed after the document gets adopted as a WG draft.

The rest of your issues fall in the category of either (a) FUD (not
subsantiated by facts), or (b) asking for editorial clarifications,
or (c) telling the SPs what choices they have to make, rather than
letting SPs to make these choices on their own.  None of these are
legitimate objections to accepting the draft as an L3VPN WG
document.

With this in min I support accepting
draft-morin-l3vpn-mvpn-considerations-01.txt as an L3VPN WG document.

Yakov.