Re: RE: About IS-IS as the PE/CE Protocol in BGP/MPLS VPNs (43834bytes)

Ross Callon <rcallon@juniper.net> Wed, 22 September 2004 16:34 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:25:48 -0400
To: Li Defeng 04955 <77cronux.leed0621@huawei.com>, l3vpn@ietf.org
From: Ross Callon <rcallon@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: RE: About IS-IS as the PE/CE Protocol in BGP/MPLS VPNs (43834bytes)
Sender: l3vpn-bounces@ietf.org

At 09:21 PM 9/22/2004 +0800, Li Defeng 04955 wrote:
>I read the L3vpn wg charter, I didn't find any statement that ISIS as a
>pe-ce routing protocol for BGP/MPLS VPN, just like it didn't explictly
>state that OSPF as a pe-ce routing protocol for BGP/MPLS VPN, and
>draft-ietf-l3vpn-ospf-2547-01.txt
>is a WG draft, and there is no explict statement of including PE-PE GRE or
>IP in BGP/MPLS IP VPNs in L3VPN wg charter, and
>draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-02.txt is a wg draft too, what's more, now
>that this topic is out of scope of l3vpn wg charter, how come this draft
>was arranged for presentation?

I think that the immediate question is whether there is significant
interest in using IS-IS as the PE-CE protocol. I expect that this
is largely based on whether IS-IS is used as the routing protocol
within the network of the *customer* of the VPN service. If there
is enough interest, then adding a related milestone to the charter
would seem like a reasonable thing to propose.

Thus I think that accepting the draft for presentation makes sense
on the basis that we want to explore how much interest there is in
the topic.

>And IS-IS is deployed in some scenarios, such as some enterprise network,
>and when two such enterprise networks would like to access service
>provider to apply BGP/MPLS VPN service between this two sites, if use
>IS-IS as PE-CE routing protocol, it will be much easier for these
>enterprise networks customer to transition from the previous network
>without changing the routing protocol in the original network.

How common is the use of IS-IS as the routing protocol in an
enterprise? I have certainly seen quite a few large service
providers who are using IS-IS (approximately half of the largest
ones in my experience), but I don't have as much experience
with IS-IS as being used in enterprises (but... see more below).

Another question is whether there are service providers using
IS-IS internally who are also the *customer* of a "carrier of
carriers" VPN service, and who would like to use IS-IS as the
PE-CE protocol for their use of this service.

>In some service providers, the IS-IS is prefered for its advantage in its
>compatibility between IPv4 and IPv6 so as to transit their VPN easily, as
>I mentioned in my last e-mail, IS-ISv6 can be supported easily by adding
>two TLVs to IS-ISv4, however, if OSPFv2 is deployed as CE-PE routing, when
>VPN customer hope to transit customer network from IPv4 to IPv6, then he
>would deploy OSPFv3 in their network, as OSPFv3 is not compatible with
>OSPFv2, in fact, they may be looked upon as two different routing
>protocol, so this transition will bring some impact to cutomer's network.
>In this regard, some service provider would prefer IS-IS as CE-PE routing
>protocol in BGP/MPLS VPN.

In principle this makes sense. Also, it is understandable that
the degree to which this effects the choice of routing protocol
for use in an enterprise might depend upon whether the
enterprise uses IPv6, which in turn might be more common in
some parts of the world than in others.

>In other words, IS-IS as the PE-CE routing protocol give the service
>provider an alternative to choose the PE-CE routing protocol, though is
>not an indispensable choice, it just provide guide line for service
>provider when he choose IS-IS as PE-CE routing protocol, and its goal is
>to be progressed into an informational RFC, not a standard track RFC which
>demand the complete abservation. So why not accept this subject in L3VPN
>WG charter?
>
>As draft-sheng will address the problem when IS-IS is used as PE-CE
>routing protocol, and there are some requirements from some service
>providers in some scenarios. so I hope chairs can reconsider to make the
>progress to this draft.

I think that it would be valuable to hear from service providers,
particularly those who see a demand for IS-IS as the CE-PE
protocol. Also, if there are any people on the list from enterprises
(or who consult to enterprises) that use IS-IS then this would also
be useful to know.

Thanks, Ross