IPv6-only MPLS gap analysis

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Mon, 01 July 2013 13:43 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 09:42:50 -0400
Subject: IPv6-only MPLS gap analysis
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "l2vpn@ietf.org" <l2vpn@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn@tools.ietf.org>, "l3vpn@ietf.org" <l3vpn@ietf.org>, "draft-mpls-ipv6-only-gap@tools.ietf.org" <draft-mpls-ipv6-only-gap@tools.ietf.org>

As discussed in Orlando in the MPLS WG, we have begun work on a Gap Analysis for MPLS operation on an IPv6-only network. I am copying the L2VPN and L3VPN WGs, as the authors would certainly value their review and input, and we also wanted to make those WGs aware of the need to begin considering IPv6-only operation in any new standards work that they might undertake, e.g. EVPN. This may take the form of referring to existing gaps from this document that must be addressed before the dependency is resolved, or it may take the form of changes to the draft to explicitly allow IPv6-only operation, but we limited our scope to existing RFCs in order to keep what is already a fairly large undertaking manageable.

This is still very much a work in progress. We're especially interested in feedback on the structure of the document (do the categories make sense) and whether we are missing major items to include in the gap analysis, across control plane, applications, or OAM.

Thanks,

Wes George, on behalf of the other authors