Re: [Lager] Incoming AD review on draft-ietf-lager-specification-11.txt

"Asmus Freytag (c)" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> Thu, 31 March 2016 03:41 UTC

To: lager@ietf.org
From: "Asmus Freytag (c)" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 20:41:06 -0700
Subject: Re: [Lager] Incoming AD review on draft-ietf-lager-specification-11.txt

On 3/30/2016 3:47 PM, Kim Davies wrote:
> Hi Alexey, Hi all,
>
> On 3/24/16, 10:46 AM, "Lager on behalf of Alexey Melnikov" <lager-bounces@ietf.org on behalf of aamelnikov@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

>> In 11.3:
>>
>> I think this section needs a bit of work. Firstly, it might be better to
>> say that Standard Dispositions MUST NOT contain ":" character in order
>> to prevent clashes with private dispositions.
> OK.
>
>> Also, saying that registered values are lowercase ASCII (for example)
>> would be a good idea. If you want to only allow ASCII, but not to limit
>> values to lowercase letters, then you need to say whether values in the
>> registry are case-sensitive or not.
> I imagine this observation can be made more generally across the specification.
> I can make this change but wonder if the case-sensitivity needs to
> be explicit in other aspects of the specification for the same reason?

We have the following  names / id's in the spec:

language (*) - rfc5646
scope (*)
reference id
tag value
variant type
class name
rule name
property name(*) - uax42
disposition (*)

The ones marked with a * are externally visible. For some, we are
referencing an external specification which settles the issue (noted
following the "-"). For scope, we are specifying that type="domain"
contains a domain name, so casing rules for domain names apply. For
other uses we require an IETF spec or a different namespace, all casing
rules would thus be external.

While we recommend the use of integers as reference IDs, we allow
uppercase letters, but not lowercase ones.

For the other internally visible id values, such as tag, variant type,
class and rule names, the simplest thing would be to make them case
sensitive. (Especially for tag values, some mixed-case use has become
the norm for the root zone LGR project, for example.) There's no benefit
of allowing case-insensitive matching.

Changes needed:
5.3.2 "containing spaces. This value is" --> "containing spaces. This
value is case-sensitive and is".
6.2.1 "single, identifier" --> "single, case-sensitive identifier"
6.2.2. "space separated tag values" --> "space separated and
case-sensitive tag values"
6.3.4 "a unique "name" attribute, and all" --> "a "name" attribute
containing a single case-sensitive identifier not containing spaces.
Names for rules must be unique. All"

Leaves the disposition values. These are not used internal to the spec,
but are the output values. For the IETF defined ones, I think we intend
to use the exact strings (case sensitive), and for externally supplied
ones, again that is up to anyone registering values.

A./