Re: [Lager] Incoming AD review on draft-ietf-lager-specification-11.txt

Kim Davies <kim.davies@icann.org> Wed, 30 March 2016 22:47 UTC

From: Kim Davies <kim.davies@icann.org>
To: Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm>, "lager@ietf.org" <lager@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 22:47:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.32.234]
Subject: Re: [Lager] Incoming AD review on draft-ietf-lager-specification-11.txt

Hi Alexey, Hi all,

On 3/24/16, 10:46 AM, "Lager on behalf of Alexey Melnikov" <lager-bounces@ietf.org on behalf of aamelnikov@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>In Section 4.3.5
>
>The first mention of "media type" needs a normative reference to RFC
>2045. This would save developers time with trying to find out what
>syntax to support and where to find registered media types.

OK, will add.

>In 11.3:
>
>I think this section needs a bit of work. Firstly, it might be better to
>say that Standard Dispositions MUST NOT contain ":" character in order
>to prevent clashes with private dispositions.

OK.

>Also, saying that registered values are lowercase ASCII (for example)
>would be a good idea. If you want to only allow ASCII, but not to limit
>values to lowercase letters, then you need to say whether values in the
>registry are case-sensitive or not.

I imagine this observation can be made more generally across the specification.
I can make this change but wonder if the case-sensitivity needs to
be explicit in other aspects of the specification for the same reason?

>> Private Dispositions - This registry shall list dispositions that
>> have been registered on a first-come first-served basis by third parties
>> with the IANA. Such dispositions must take the form "entity:disposition"
>> where the entity is a prefix that uniquely identifies the private user
>> of the namespace. For example, "acme:reserved" could be a private extension
>> used by the organization ACME to denote a disposition relating to reserved
>> labels.
>
>I think "entity" should be better specified. Which characters are
>allowed? I would recommend either use domain names to describe ownerhip
>(I can suggest some text) or use values from the PEN IANA registry
><https://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers/enterprise-numbers>?

Given it sounds like you have a clear concept in your mind, I would appreciate
suggested text on how to use domain names or PENs to namespace the private
dispositions. A domain name based approach may be the simplest option here
given that PENs may be an unfamiliar concept to typical authors of these tables,
and are not used elsewhere in the document.

kim