[Last-Call] Dnsdir last call review of draft-ietf-lamps-caa-issuemail-04

Tim Wicinski via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Sat, 01 July 2023 21:50 UTC

From: Tim Wicinski via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: dnsdir@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-lamps-caa-issuemail.all@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org, spasm@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 14:50:47 -0700
Subject: [Last-Call] Dnsdir last call review of draft-ietf-lamps-caa-issuemail-04

Reviewer: Tim Wicinski
Review result: Ready with Nits

Reviewer: Tim Wicinski
Review result: Ready with Nits

I have been selected as the DNS Directorate reviewer for this draft. The
DNS Directorate seeks to review all DNS or DNS-related drafts as
they pass through IETF last call and IESG review, and sometimes on special
request. The purpose of the review is to provide assistance to the ADs.
For more information about the DNS Directorate, please see
https://wiki.ietf.org/en/group/dnsdir

I find the document well written, and easy to understand.  I have a few
minor nits.

This is a very minor nit, but when I was validating the ABNF, I realized the
proper order should have these two first:

    label = (ALPHA / DIGIT) *( *("-") (ALPHA / DIGIT))

    issuer-domain-name = label *("." label)

Like I said, very minor. (according to bap)

A question on malformed parameters (Section 4):
The text says this:

   However, parameters that do not conform to the ABNF syntax as defined
   in Section 3 will result in the issuemail-value being not conformant
   with the ABNF syntax.  As stated above, a Property whose issuemail-
   value is malformed SHALL be treated as if the issuer-domain-name in
   the issuemail-value is the empty string.

And you have this example of a malformed property.

   malformed.client.example     CAA 0 issuemail "%%%%%"

But what happens if this is the record?

   malformed.client.example     CAA 0 issuemail "authority.example; %%%%%"

If I read this correctly, the entire record is ignored.  Is this true?