Re: [ldapext] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-pluta-ldap-srv-side-current-time-match-00]

Daniel Pluta <pluta@tum.de> Fri, 23 April 2010 21:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:06:24 +0200
From: Daniel Pluta <pluta@tum.de>
To: Steven Legg <steven.legg@eb2bcom.com>
Cc: ldapext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ldapext] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-pluta-ldap-srv-side-current-time-match-00]

Hi Steven,

Steven Legg wrote:
> Hi Daniel, Daniel Pluta wrote:
>> Hi Steven, Steven Legg wrote:

>> And you are right, the timezone information in the Root-DSE is not
>> needed for our mentioned replication scenario in case every
>> time-stamp value and the comparison is strictly made using UTC.
>>
>> At first I've been thinking of using localtime which: - would
>> justify the transformation but causes major disadvantages at least
>> in complexity, usability, replication and in other cases e.g. when
>> taking a replica's dump to recover the master or another replica in
>> other timezones. - is against common accepted LDAP specifications
>> (everything is UTC) - should no longer be thought about
>>
>> Nevertheless we are currently still think that the timezone
>> information should be published: - this data "completes" the
>> current time information - this information can be used to derive a
>> server's timezone position (at least as long as there is no
>> specification how to publish the global positioning system
>> information)
>
> I don't have problem with a server publishing its time zone, but the
> IESG might take exception to standardizing a feature for which no
> particular purpose has been identified.

Yes we currently share the same concerns but in our opinion it's at
least worth a try. In case publishing the "time" via the Root-DSE would
be generally acceptable, we would suggest and vote for also publishing
the server's timezone to make the common information about the time more
complete.

> Incidentally, I can imagine scenarios where an administrator would
> set up a server to report and operate as though it is in a time zone
> other than the one it is physically in. It's better and easier for
> the server to nominate its timezone rather than have to work it out
> from the server's location.

Yes that would be the most reliable way.

> [...]
>> interesting solution at least for this specialized scenario (and
>> limited for a short period of time e.g. a day).
>
> Not so much an opposite approach as a solution to a different
> requirement. I just mentioned it to indicate that I have a use for
> publishing the server's current time, not just in the root, but in
> every entry. I wasn't offering it as an alternative solution to your
> specific requirements.
>

>> Therefore in our opinion it's not comparable to the draft's
>> matching rule approach and rises the following questions (if
>> nevertheless compared): - the many time determination operations
>> for huge result sets (which can be optimized) - the client side
>> specified filter criteria
>>
>> The first point can be easily optimized: In huge result sets the
>> repeating time determination for each entry does possibly take some
>> time. I would suggest to use an instantaneous and constant time of
>> the request/operation/etc even because you already said, that the
>> time deltas are just slightly different and are to small to be of
>> any great effect (so, why spending processing time for them?).
>
> Because it was easier to code it that way. A consistent time would be
>  better but requires more coding. If I were to standardize this
> attribute, then I would specify it as having its value fixed for the
> duration of an operation, and change the code accordingly.
>

>> Comment regarding the second point: Instead of using calculated
>> times, when using in backend stored time-stamp values in
>> combination with our matching rule each entry can have different
>> period limiting time-stamp pairs. This is an important difference
>> regarding the use in automatic provisioning scenarios where we want
>> to support selection of all currently valid entries (independent
>> from the distinct time-stamps, which should not be readable or even
>> binary search able) in contrast to your scenario.
>>
>> Our approach handles huge and tiny result sets using the same
>> matching rule mechanisms independent from operating as single
>> userDN (self) or a service's DN.
>>
>> However, I think I understand your scenario and idea. In regard to
>> "currentTimeOfDay" this seems to be a fine solution in case your
>> clients and services are trustworthy enough to be allowed to
>> define/request the periods on their own.
>
> The periods are defined by the directory administrators in the access
>  controls, which are evaluated by the server using the server's
> current time. The client's aren't defining anything.
>
>> Regardless from our concerns, your currentTimeOfDay syntax is very
>> interesting, to extend our matching rules to also match these kind
>> of values, too.
>
> I don't see what that would achieve. The value of currentTimeOfDay is
>  always "now" and your matching rules are testing if the value of a
> timestamp is "now", so the result would always be true (assuming the
> implementation determined "now" only once for the entire operation).

Sorry that's my fault: I've meant the assertion value's syntax. Which in
our scenario probably could become useful as attribute value syntax.

>> Instead of publishing the current time in each entry our approach
>> allows us to uses a single, centralized place in the DIT (e.g.
>> Root-DSE) to publish the server's current time information. The
>> time information is only used seldom in combination with our
>> matching rule approach but is useful to offer clients a general
>> chance to determine the server's current system time. When using
>> tls/ssl in general the server's system time should be ok, but
>> nobody knows. So the clients needs a chance to query the server
>> (using LDAP) for its current time at least in UTC.
>
> The pertinent question is: why? The IESG will probably want to know.

In our opinion and based on our approach the question "Why?" does not
exist. The only open questions would be "where and how?". Please let me
try to explain from the beginning:

Q: Why should the server publish its time in general?
A: The answer is related to the big picture behind our scenario where
both, syntaxes and matching rules are in operation.
The matching rule operates on the server side. The clients do not need
to use a distinct time for example using time-similar assertion values
in filters strings. Clients just use "NOW" as assertion value which the
server internally expands into its current server side time. Based on
this internal (hidden) expansion the client can only *hope* the server
delivers the currently available entries.
Q: But why the client's only can hope?
A: Depending on the scenario which leads to different data-privacy
requirements the clients are not always able to verify the returned
entries time-stamps because permission to access the result set entries'
time-stamp values (in case our specialized syntaxes are in use) by read
may be knowingly (a directory operator'/designer'/administrator's
decision) denied. To give interested clients a chance to determine the
server's time we suggest that the server should publish its current time
to be query able for some kind of verification / debugging possibility.

Let me now come to the still somewhat open question: "Where and how?"
Q: Where should the time be published? Why within the Root-DSE, and not
in each entry?
A: In our opinion clients would ask servers seldom for their current
time but there exist some justifications for clients to do so. The time
information is very helpful especially in case of supposed errors or for
debugging. Imagine replicated environments where one replica system for
example is operating using the wrong system time. This would probably
lead to strongly varying result sets depending on the server that
answers the queries.
Because the time is so seldom queried we prefer its publication within
the "neutral zone" the Root-DSE, instead of attaching it using an extra
attribute for each entry.

And finally the minor important question:
Q: In case the server would already publish its current system time,
what about additionally publishing the server's timezone?
A: We currently do not have an idea why and for what reason to insist of
publishing the timezone. The only reason is: a timezone generally
somehow belongs/completes an information about the time (regardless
whether LDAP internally always uses UTC).

>> Although a concrete scenario where the timezone is needed is
>> currently missing, additionally publishing the timezone (in
>> contrast to our draft e.g. in an extra attribute) makes this kind
>> of information (the time) more complete, at least in our opinion.
>
> My opinion is different. An operational attribute to publish the
> server's time and/or timezone isn't significant to the remainder of
> the draft and could just as well be in a separate draft, or not
> mentioned at all. So I don't see it as being desirable for reasons of
> completeness.

Please see above: time is a must-have, timezone is just nice to have

>>> I can see how that works if the services always bind to the
>>> directory and perform operations as themselves but it wouldn't
>>> work if the services proxy the end user or proxy other services.
>>> In all, this feels like a workaround for simple-minded services
>>> that assume the service is available to a user just because the
>>> user has an entry. The ideal solution would be for the service to
>>> check that the current time is in the validity period for that
>>> service and user (in which case the service's idea of UTC is just
>>> as good as the LDAP server's).
>>>

>> In our current scenario service proxies are supported as well. They
>>  could also contain time-stamp attributes that are used to
>> determine whether a service is currently allowed to operate on the
>> directory (please see below for details).
>>

>>> Where there is some limited ability to configure the service with
>>>  fixed LDAP searches then the new matching rules become useful.
>>> If that isn't an option, then the new matching rules could be
>>> used to limit the visibility of the user's entry for different
>>> services. Bad luck if the services proxy other identities.
>>
>> Probably I cannot follow you in detail. Could you please give me a
>>  more detailed example? Thanks a lot.
>
> In the ideal situation the "foobar" service would test whether it is
> currently enabled for a given user by searching the user's entry with
> a filter like:
>

> (&(foobarStartTime<=20100423133800+1000)(foobarEndTime>=20100423133800+1000))
>

> where (for example) the current time is 20100423133800+1000 as far as
>  the foobar service is concerned.
>
> If the foobar service can only be configured with a fixed LDAP
> filter, then that filter would need to be something like this:
>
> (&(|(foobarStartTime:currentTimeMatch:=P0S)
> (foobarStartTime:currentTimeOrderingMatch:=P0S))
> (!(foobarEndTime:currentTimeOrderingMatch:=P0S)))
>
> Note that "P0S" is a duration of zero seconds.
>
> If the foobar service just assumes that it is enabled for any user
> whose entry is visible, then there would need to be an access control
> in the LDAP server that only allows the foobar service identity to
> see a user entry if the preceding filter applied to that user entry
> is satisfied.
>
> If the foobar service used the user identity rather than its own to
> determine the existence of the user entry, then there would need to
> be an access control in the LDAP server that only allows the user
> identity to see its own entry if the preceding filter is satisfied.
> However, it then isn't possible to have separate start and end times
> for each service. There would be one start time and end time that
> applies to all services and the user would not even see their own
> entry outside those times.

This is all fine, at least in case you trust the services. Don't call us
paranoid, but in our scenario we even do not trust the (even internal)
services, at least in regard to data privacy concerns. Of course we do
trust our services regarding their core competence: offering the maximum
service quality.

Imagine huge organizations where service administrators can very easily
and lucratively misuse identity information (e.g. contacting the press,
the business rival, or sell/buy some own/rival shares).

Please see below for one sample scenario's details and the resulting
requirements.

>>> In that case you don't need extra syntaxes or all four matching
>>> rules.
>>
>> Indeed we need the syntaxes to prevent services to be able to
>> determine the limiting time-stamp values for example of an user's
>> entry which has to be searched by a service before it can be used
>> for authentication via a bind operation. We are yet already able to
>>  prevent inquisitive services to get more information than that are
>>  needed just in the moment.
>
> I'm not convinced that preventing services from seeing data that are
>  pertinent to the operation of that service is an important goal.

We are focusing on the optimization of provision process event-handling
related questions, rather than administration and authorization
requirements. If our syntaxes and matching rules in general (as a
side-effect) also offer some management advantages in direction to
administration and authorization that's of course fine, too.

Two important and commonly accepted data privacy requirements are:
- Data minimization
- Data avoidance

In our opinion it's better to centralize (even critical) data as much as
possible instead of distributing these critical data from one system to
another and slightly loosing control. But this in general is an
architectural/infrastructure question and a discussion topic not related
to but taken as basis for this draft.

Imagine a new employee who has successfully applied for a timely limited
contract. The contract says the employee should begin in 2 months and
the employment should end in 14 months. Why waiting for an external
event which triggers the provisioning (aka partially giving up control
and spreading sensitive data into remote systems - "data graves") in
exactly two month,  not later not earlier?

In our scenario a new employee has already provisioned herself e.g. by
self-registration in the career portal (e.g. unprivileged role
"guest" or "applicant"). A contract is usually signed some time in
advance. Right after signing the contract the new employee's dataset is
enriched by HR using the verified data from the CV and some more details
from the distinct contract (e.g. the contract's time-stamps).
As soon as the contract has been signed the new (in this moment future)
employee often needs instant access to the organization's (internal)
privileged career portal services to complete some open formalities. The
HR's LDAP service proxy is allowed to access these entries even before
the employment gets actually an active member of the organization's
workforce.

Two months later the entry becomes (automatically without any event)
accessible for other system's service proxies, too - completely without
the need of external event triggering frameworks that need to manipulate
attribute values, move entries and the like.
In between the successful application and the first working day it is
very important to strictly deny access to employees' data which for good
reasons are already provisioned but shouldn't generally be usable in
advance. Not only the user's access to a service has to be denied (to
avoid misuse by the user from the administration/authorization point of
view), but also the service must not be permitted to access the future
employees data (misuse, e.g. insider trading, bullying). That's the
reason we want to deny read access to the time-stamps at all. Services
shouldn't be able to notice such entries' existence and they also
shouldn't be able to determine (binary search) the time-stamps of
existing entries.
Just for fun, imagine the entry of the new head of the research in the
chip industry, head of design in automotive industry or head of the
brokerage department in the finance industry whose employment will
probably begin in 3 to 6 month. All these information are very sensitive
(for both sides, the user and the organization) and need to be
protected because they are potentially also very lucrative and thus an
important cause for potential internal misuse through service
administrators.

Sensitive for the user means (affects her new and old employment), e.g.:
- possibly she still has a current employment elsewhere which could be
affected negatively for her (or for the new organization in case the old
organization "spontaneously" rises her salary...)
- some other user's contract will end in 2 month which unnecessarily
causes rumors
- ...

Sensitive for the (new) organization, e.g.:
- current head of department X soon joins, get's replaced or will leave
the organization (just imagine the value/impact of this pre-information
if Steve J., Bill G. or Steven B. are affected - OMG).
- ...

For that reason no service (only exceptional trustworthy services like
HR or equivalent) should be allowed to query a distinct object for its
begin and end of life time-stamp. Additionally a look into the past as
well as into the future has to be prohibited, too.

Because an user's information is usually needed in advance (e.g. HR
portal self-service right after the contract has been signed) the
identity data regardlessly has to be existent in the system. The same
applies regarding the end of life: User accounts do not need to and in
practice they usually aren't be (completely) removed because they need
to remain existent for alumna services (for example a retired employment
still needs access to the organization's services x and a borrowed
employee want stay a customer or wants to get employed again next year
etc.pp).

That's the reason we would like to see our two dedicated syntaxes
specified. Beside the above sample demonstration employment life-cycle
scenario the draft's principal is of broader general use. Imagine
entries that represent permissions which get automatically or
temporarily "deactivated" or entries that represent contracts whose
lifetime should not be disclosed to most of the services etc. pp.

> Fair enough that users shouldn't be able to see the service details
> of other users, and maybe there are times when users shouldn't be
> able to see some of their own service details, but putting blinkers
> on the service as well doesn't seem worth it. For one thing it means
> that the service can't do things like warn users that their access
> will be disabled in one hour, or even determine for itself which
> users will soon become disabled so that certain administrative
> actions can be put in motion.

Thus our above provisioning scenario profits from automatic processing
the draft currently does not require to manage these fields during all
day standard operation (e.g. administration/authorization).
Of course using another (generalizedTime syntax) attribute (in
contrast/addition to our two extra ones) would more or less support the
  administration and authorization goals you've mentioned for example above.

>> BTW: I could not find an RFC which explicitly says something about
>> how ordering matching rules may/must/should be supported/processed
>> in extensible match filters. On the other hand I also have not
>> found a statement that ordering matching rules should not be
>> supported in extensible match filters...
>
> I know of no standard specification that explicitly allows or
> prohibits the use of any particular matching rule in an extensible
> match. Yours would be the first.

Disclaimer: it's not our intention and we don't want to introduce a
major change or any quirky exceptions in LDAP. We try to solve a problem
making use of the existing standards and when forced to we just aim to
extend this standard as marginal as possible. We found a solution which
works for us by just implementing two matching rules and two
generalizedTime-derived attribute value syntaxes (and the assertion
syntax we have called "NOW").

All we currently are looking for is to get reliable information how
ordering matching rules are/should be commonly supported in extensible
matching rules. Depending from the answer we perhaps need the extra
syntaxes (when supported) or we perhaps don't need the extra syntaxes
(when not supported).

Our draft is based on the assumption that ordering matching rules are
supported in extensible matching rules, as long as the matching rules
are compatible to the attribute value syntax. That's also the reason for
our interim confusion regarding a reliable demand for the extra syntaxes
after we have seen that openldap seems currently not to support ordering
matching rules in extensible match filters.

Regardless of the temporary confusion we've used the "natural" schema
definition mechanism (especially using the relation between a syntax and
its associated/compatible matching rules). We understand this
association the way that only "assigned/compatible" matching rules
are/should be applicable to attributes of a distinct syntax (please
correct me if I'm wrong).

As you've previously explained, ordering matching rules are (at least by
your product) supported in extensible match filters. Sadly we both
are not aware of a detailed specification regarding this specific question.
But for sure I'm with you: personally I do not understand why ordering
matching rules in common shouldn't be supported in extensible match
filters. I also don't know whether this kind of support/feature is left
open to each vendor because the specification does not say something
about it. Therefore I've posted a question on openldap-technical in the
meantime and I'm currently hoping for an answer (regardless whether
product specific or not) which hopefully at least slightly enlightens me.

Although, missing support for ordering matching rules in extensible
match filters (which seems to be the current status of openldap) would
solve our non-disclosure problem (without the need for additional
syntaxes), I would prefer the general support of syntactically
compatible ordering matching rules in extensible matching filters,
because ordering matching rule support could offer extra functionality
(e.g. in case two or more different ordering matching rules are
available for one attribute syntax).

To further discuss whether the introduction of our two extra syntaxes
possibly makes sense or not, all we need to know in the moment is a
clear statement regarding the intended/specified support for ordering
matching rules in extensible match filters.

>> Although, OpenLDAP currently does not support ordering matching
>> rules in extensible match filters it's possibly just a question of
>> time when this "feature" becomes supported, too (in case the/a
>> specification says so?). On the other hand, other directory server
>> implementations may be already support ordering matching rules in
>> extensible match filters (the way you've explained above) and
>> probably also want to prevent client's to determine the exact
>> time-stamps vaules - just by using the new syntaxes which we
>> derived from gerneralizedTime.
>
> FYI, eB2Bcom's directory allows all of its 110+ supported matching
> rules to be used in an extensible match. In fact, an extensible match
> is the only way to invoke a significant number of them. I'm not
> convinced that the new syntaxes are necessary or desirable.
>

>> Now let me please come back to explain the common need for the two
>>  extra syntaxes (named "nowBefore" and "nowAfter") mentioned in our
>>  draft:
>>
>> Imagine two period limiting time-stamp attributes' values. These
>> attributes need to be searchable to allow an ACL engine (that
>> supports searchfilter) to process the filter statement in the
>> context of the user or the context of a service's bindDN.
>
> An ACL engine in a directory is not itself subject to access
> controls.
>
>> So at least search (ideally without read) permission has to be
>> given to self, the service's bindDN or both. Search permission for
>> "self" is not as critical as search access for the service's
>> bindDN. Snoopy bindDN owners could try to gather more detailed
>> information from exntries than originally intended (e.g. looking
>> into the future or past using binary search...)
>
> Even if you lock down the timestamps there is still plenty of other,
> more useful information that someone with the service's credentials
> could access.
> The new syntaxes would provide only a marginal benefit

Not in the scenario we are focusing on, even more in case a server
supports ordering matching rules in extensible match filters - like your
product for example does.

Best regards,
Daniel