Re: Proxied AuthZ (was: Re: [ldapext] Chained Operation (control, extended op, or op?))

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> Fri, 25 June 2004 17:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:07:39 -0700
To: Jim Sermersheim <jimse@novell.com>
From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
Subject: Re: Proxied AuthZ (was: Re: [ldapext] Chained Operation (control, extended op, or op?))
Cc: Ed Reed <EReed@novell.com>, mark.ennis@adacel.com, ldapext@ietf.org
Sender: ldapext-bounces@ietf.org

At 08:42 AM 6/25/2004, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>One (albeit simple) mechanism for this has been around for a while
>(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-weltman-ldapv3-proxy-12.txt).
>This seems to meet a few of the criteria that people want. It allows the
>sender to pass a control which says "use this identity for this
>operation".

But who's asking to use this identity?  The originating client
or the chaining server?

>Though it doesn't say so, it seems able to be used between
>DSAs (it uses client and server terms). When used between DSAs, one
>would sasume the sending DSA has ensured that the sent identity has
>already authenticated somehow.
>
>Maybe this only meets some minimal requirements.

I think, in order to make it clear that as who is asking what,
there needs to be good separation between what belongs to
original request and the chaining request.  The chained
operation exop provides that.

>I think the chained bind that Kurt is talking about is a little
>different. It allows the one DSA to forward some forms of a bind
>operation to a second DSA.

Yes.  I'm looking at mechanisms for distributed authentication
operations in addition to mechanisms for distributed
(non-authentication) operations.

Kurt