Re: [ldapext] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldap-managedit-00.txt

Mark Ennis <mark.ennis@eb2bcom.com> Thu, 02 March 2006 23:18 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:18:34 +1100
From: Mark Ennis <mark.ennis@eb2bcom.com>
To: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
Subject: Re: [ldapext] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldap-managedit-00.txt
Cc: ldapext@ietf.org

Kurt,

We implemented something very similar to this recently, which we called
a schema checking control. The only significant difference is that we
introduced an extra level of control.

That is, without the LDAP control, we carry out full schema checking,
with the control, we have three possible settings:
i) no schema checking.
ii) do all schema checking except the NO USER MODIFICATION property of
the attribute type description.
iii) full schema checking.

We use option ii) for importing data into the directory. It allows
createTimestamp, etc. to be specified in the dump, but otherwise checks
the schema is correct and rebuilds structuralObjectClass and
governingStructureRule.

- Mark.