Re: [lemonade] Proposed LEMONADE interim agenda

Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@Sun.COM> Thu, 01 September 2005 23:56 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:57:22 -0700
From: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: [lemonade] Proposed LEMONADE interim agenda
To: Glenn Parsons <gparsons@nortel.com>, lemonade@ietf.org
Sender: lemonade-bounces@ietf.org

Two issues:

1. If UIDPLUS (RFC 2359) is included in the lemonade profile at all, I would
   prefer it be included in Phase 1 on the grounds it is already an RFC and
   thus would not delay phase 1 and would make phase 1 more useful.

2. I believe NAMESPACE (RFC 2342) should also be included in the Lemonade
   profile.  I'm suggesting this because I was told about a mobile phone
   IMAP client which fails to handle shared folders properly and drawing
   NAMESPACE into the profile will make the issue of shared folders clearer.

   More detail of the issue:

   An IMAP server can offer both personal and shared mailboxes.  End-users
   typically expect an IMAP client to show all personal mailboxes and no
   shared mailboxes by default with IMAP subscriptions providing a mechanism
   to adjust those defaults.  The IMAP base spec provides no way to
   distinguish personal mailboxes from shared mailboxes, so an
   IMAP-base-spec-only client which respects shared mailboxes can at best
   show all mailboxes by default and provide an "unsubscribe" feature or show
   no mailboxes by default and provide a "subscribe" feature.  The
   NAMESPACE extension provides a way for an IMAP client to distinguish
   personal mailboxes from shared mailboxes and thus can provide a better
   default experience.

   This is also important because the IMAP base spec is not particularly
   clear about how shared mailboxes work.  And the implementation advice in
   RFC 2683 only explains one of the client pitfalls when dealing with a
   server that offers shared mailboxes.  The other pitfall impacts caching
   clients which do not use subscriptions or an equivalent mechanism to
   control the list of mailboxes.  If such clients always cache all mailboxes
   available via LIST, they won't work as end-users expect with shared
   mailboxes and will consume a lot of unnecessary bandwidth at a site with
   a lot of shared mailboxes.

                - Chris