[lemonade] Should Sieve extensions be included into Profile Bis?

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Wed, 19 December 2007 20:02 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:01:48 +0000
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: Lemonade WG <lemonade@ietf.org>
Subject: [lemonade] Should Sieve extensions be included into Profile Bis?

Hi everyone,
I hope if I am starting another rant it is going to be a short one ;-).

Just to be clear, I am currently stating no opinion on whether this
should be a part of Lemonade Profile Bis document or not. But looking at
the list of requirements from OMA MEM I can see that several of them can
be addressed by Sieve (invoked on message delivery) + some existing
Sieve extensions:

USAB-9: When connectivity is not available or drops, email events on the
client that may take place MUST be stored on the client until
connectivity becomes available and then sent to the email server as soon
as possible.
The mobile email enabler MUST allow the user to set filtering rules based on
      Email header fields
      Mailbox folder options.
      Spam score.
USAB-10: The mobile email enabler MUST allow the user to change
filtering rules on his mobile email client.
USAB-11: The mobile email enabler MUST support:
      Different methods for notifying the client about new emails based
on capabilities of the network
      The ability for the user to select the transport method based on
the capabilities of the client and network (e.g. SMS, Push, MMS etc)
      The ability for the user to select if, when and how events are
accessed by the client
USAB-12: The mobile email enabler MUST support the use of a number of
different means to transport notifications this could include SMS, MMS,
WAP Push, SIP Notification, UDP, in band, polled)
USAB-27: The mobile email enabler SHOULD support definition of
auto-reply messages for each filtered messages.  Automatically generated
replies SHOULD avoid mail loops (RFC 2821 and related RFCs)

And also possibly:
SEC-10: The mobile email enabler MUST support spam protection
SEC-11: The mobile email enabler MUST support virus protection

========
Here is my take on how these requirements can be addressed:
USAB-9 can be satisfied by the base Sieve
(draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-13.txt, soon to become a new RFC). The last
point is also related to draft-ietf-sieve-spamtestbis-05.txt (soon to
become a new RFC).
USAB-10 can be satisfied by the base Sieve
(draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-13.txt) + by a Sieve management protocol
(multiple choices).
USAB-11 and USAB-12 can be satisfied by the Sieve notify framework
(draft-ietf-sieve-notify-11.txt, in IESG review now) and possibly by
draft-melnikov-sieve-imapext-metadata-02.txt.
USAB-27 can be satisfied by the Sieve vacation extension
(draft-ietf-sieve-vacation-07.txt, soon to become a new RFC)
And finally SEC-10 and SEC-11 can be partially satisfied by
draft-ietf-sieve-spamtestbis-05.txt

========
So, if the WG decides to defined Sieve related requirements in the
Lemonade Profile Bis document, here is my suggestion:

Sieve email filtering language (draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-13.txt)
Sieve vacation extension (draft-ietf-sieve-vacation-07.txt)
Sieve notify extension (draft-ietf-sieve-notify-11.txt)

But to be more useful for clients (in particular to allow clients to
control vacation auto-replies without rewriting Sieve scripts, etc.) I
would also recommend the following:

Sieve variables extension (draft-ietf-sieve-variables-08, soon to be a
new RFC)
Sieve extension for accessing IMAP METADATA
(draft-melnikov-sieve-imapext-metadata-02.txt)
Sieve relational test (draft-ietf-sieve-3431bis-04.txt)

If there is a decision to include this into Lemonade Profile Bis, then
this list would become a new section titled "Requirements on
Lemonade-compliant Sieve engines".

Regards,
Alexey

P.S. At this point I don't see any need for IMAP Sieve (i.e. invocation
of Sieve scripts on flag change, IMAP APPEND/COPY or message expunge
events). I think IMAP Sieve is important, but not for Lemonade purposes.