[lemonade] Re: Comments on draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-07.txt

Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com> Tue, 09 August 2005 22:16 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:12:16 -0700
To: Mark Crispin <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU>
From: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Cc: Lemonade <lemonade@ietf.org>, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: [lemonade] Re: Comments on draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-07.txt
Sender: lemonade-bounces@ietf.org

At 3:07 AM -0700 8/5/05, Mark Crispin wrote:

>  It's 3AM here, so please forgive me if I have a brain fart.
>
>  On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Randall Gellens wrote:
>>  Technical:
>>
>>  Section 3, lines 239-241: "Use of either of these access
>>     identifiers makes it impossible for an attacker, spying on the
>>     session, to use the same URL, either directly or by submission to a
>>     message submission entity."
>>
>>  The "impossible" depends on the attacker being able to capture the
>> session, but not be able to use the same submission server or to
>> capture the user's authentication credentials (for either the IMAP
>> or submit services).  While this seems very obvious, and perhaps
>> not worth saying, it does mean, for example, that an attacker who
>> shares the same submission server can reuse a URLAUTH protected by
>> "submit+",
>
>  I don't see how, given the semantics of submit+<userid>, which
> requires that "only a userid authorized as a message submission
> entity on behalf of the specified userid is permitted to use this
> URL.  Normally, this will be the current authorization userid on
> the submission server.
>
>  So the attacker must not merely share the same submision server;
> the attacker must be able to authorize as that userid on the
> submission server in order to reuse a URL protected by "submit+".

This comment was a minor one, since I don't think it affects the
security considerations either way.

Likely I'm the one confused, but if user B captures a urlauth URL for
user A, and shares the same servers, then B can submit a new message
using the same urlauth URL, right?  If they don't share the same
servers (both submission and IMAP), then this won't work.

Also, if B can capture the message submission of A, then B can
directly capture data not referenced by a URL, and this is a threat
regardless of the use of urlauth or not.

>  I don't think that I need to answer your other comments; the
> desired document action in each case all seems to be obvious.

I agree, the bulk of my comments were requests for minor wording
tweaks or typo corrections.

>    Please let me know if you feel that you need feedback, since
> otherwise I intend to do the seemingly obvious when preparing it
> for an RFC.

No need to respond to each of my comments individually.

>  If I'm not mistaken, this document has finished WGLC and is
> awaiting IESG action, correct?  If it's still in WGLC, I wouldn't
> mind issuing a new I-D with your action items addressed.

My understanding is it has passed WGLC.  I anticipated that my
comments would get addressed with IETF Last Call or IESG comments, if
any; if there are none then AUTH48 will do.

--
Randall Gellens