[lemonade] URLAUTH draft changes

Mark Crispin <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> Thu, 13 April 2006 20:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:51:07 -0700
From: Mark Crispin <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU>
To: lemonade@ietf.org
Subject: [lemonade] URLAUTH draft changes

The proposed set of changes to draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-08.txt follow.
Following each change is a set of comments prefixed with ;;; that
explain the change.

Assuming that there are no further objections, I will then review the RFC
Editor's work and merge these changes.

Speak now or forever....

73c73
<    that it only supports authentication, and confuses the concepts
---
>    that it only supports authentication, and confuses the concepts of

;;; grammar correction

78c78
<    conveys authorization in the URL name itself, and reuses a portion of
---
>    conveys authorization in the URL string itself, and reuses a portion of

;;; precision correction (no such thing as a "URL name")

195c195
<    [IMAPURL] is extended by allowing the addition of ;EXPIRE=<datetime>"
---
>    [IMAPURL] is extended by allowing the addition of ";EXPIRE=<datetime>"

;;; typographic correction: missing open quote.

416,417c416,423
<           As a consequence, the iserver rule of [IMAPURL] is modified
<           so that iuserauth is mandatory.
---
>           As a consequence, relative URLs are not permitted, and
>           enc-user is mandatory, in URLAUTH authorized URLs.
>
>              Note: the server component of the URL is generally the
>              logged in userid and server.  If not, then the logged in
>              userid and server MUST have owner-type access to the
>              mailbox access key table owned by the userid and server
>              indicated by the server component of the URL.

;;; per recent discussion regarding the URLAUTH security model.

424,425c430,431
<       (4) the server MAY also verify that the Message-ID and/or
<           second components (if present) are valid.
---
>       (4) the server MAY also verify that the iuid and/or isection
>           components (if present) are valid.

;;; per discussion; "Message-ID" and "second" are obvious errors.

478a485,491
>    The URLFETCH command effectively executes with the access of the userid
>    in the server component of the URL (which is generally the userid that
>    issued the GENURLAUTH).  By itself, the URLAUTH does NOT grant access to
>    the data; once validated, it grants whatever access to the data is held
>    by the userid in the server component of the URL.  That access may have
>    changed since the GENURLAUTH was done.

;;; more per recent discussion regarding the URLAUTH security model.

626c639,641
< authimapurl     = "imap://" iuserauth "@" hostport "/" imessagepart
---
> authimapurl     = "imap://" enc-user [iauth] "@" hostport "/" imessagepart
>                    ; replaces "imapurl" and "iserver" rules for URLAUTH
>                    ; authorized URLs

;;; indicate that enc-user is mandatory (it is optional in iuserauth)

633a649,651
> enc-user        = 1*achar
>                    ; same as "enc_user" in RFC 2192

;;; per underscore vs. hyphen foofaraw

638c656
< access          = ("submit+" iuserauth) / ("user+" iuserauth) /
---
> access          = ("submit+" enc-user) / ("user+" enc-user) /

;;; remove iauth as possible value in these fields.

677a696,702
>    Although this specification does not prohibit the theoretical
>    capability to generate a URL with a server component other than the
>    logged in userid and server, this capability should only be provided
>    when the logged in userid/server has been authorized as equivalent to
>    the server component userid/server, or otherwise has access to that
>    userid/server mailbox access key table.

;;; further security caution per recent discussion regarding the URLAUTH
;;; security model.

719,720c744
<               Specifications: ABNF", draft-crocker-abnf-rfc2234bis (work
<               in progress).
---
>               Specifications: ABNF", RFC 4234, October 2005.

;;; update since RFC now issued (probably will be updated in RFC Editor
;;; version too).

723c747
<               draft-newman-lemonade-burl (work in progress).
---
>               draft-ietf-lemonade-burl (work in progress).

;;; update now that WG draft (probably will be updated in RFC Editor
;;; version too).

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.