[lemonade] Re: draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-07.txt nits

Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> Thu, 11 August 2005 22:05 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:04:57 -0700
From: Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>
To: Ken Murchison <ken@oceana.com>
Cc: "IETF LEMONADE (E-mail)" <lemonade@ietf.org>
Subject: [lemonade] Re: draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-07.txt nits
Sender: lemonade-bounces@ietf.org

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Ken Murchison wrote:
> section BASE.7.1.URLMECH: The text states "This status response code is
> returned in an untagged OK response in response to a RESETKEY, SELECT, or
> EXAMINE command", but the example shows it being used in the tagged response
> to RESETKEY.  Is the text wrong or the example?

I think that the correct fix is to add a single sentence:

    This status response code is returned in an untagged OK response in
    response to a RESETKEY, SELECT, or EXAMINE command.  In the case of
    the RESETKEY command, this status response code can be sent in the
    tagged OK response instead of requiring a separate untagged OK
    response.

An untagged OK response must be used for SELECT and EXAMINE, since the
tagged OK response for these commands already holds the READ-ONLY and
READ-WRITE status response codes.

In my opinion, a client should accept any status response codes in either
a tagged or an untagged response.  The inclusion of status response codes
in tagged responses should properly be viewed as a shortcut to make the
protocol less chatty.

Had we thought the issue more carefully, there never would have been a
CAPABILITY response; these would always be status response codes.  An
argument can be made to do the same for SEARCH, SORT, and THREAD.

> section BASE.7.4.URLFETCH: Per the ABNF, Contents should read "One or more
> URL/nstring pairs"

OK.

> section 8: Since the GENURLAUTH command accepts a URL with no <mechanism> or
> <enc-urlauth>, shouldn't the ABNF for iurlauth be:
>
> iurlauth = [expire] ";URLAUTH=" access [ ":" mechanism ":" enc-urlauth ]

Sigh, it's a bit more complicated than this.  Let me mull over it a bit.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.