Re: [lemonade] Food for thought - Notifications and Filters

Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com> Mon, 23 July 2007 16:05 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:04:01 -0700
To: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>, Eric Burger <eburger@bea.com>
From: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: [lemonade] Food for thought - Notifications and Filters
Cc: "lemonade@ietf.org" <lemonade@ietf.org>

At 2:58 PM +0100 7/23/07, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

>  On the other hand I think the Profile Bis document should reference
>  draft-ietf-lemonade-notifications informally. Informally, because there
>  is no single notification protocol that the WG can agree on. And even if
>  we can agree on a single protocol, currently there is no document
>  describing how Lemonade notifications can be represented/carried by such
>  protocol.

I'm not sure the notifications protocol is the most important issue.
I think there are essentially three major issues in notifications
from a lemonade perspective: First, how does the server know for
which events it should generate a notification; second, to what
address is the notification sent; and third, what is the
format/content of the notification.  A fourth issue, what is the
protocol used to send the notification, is less important, since if
the first three are standardized, the fourth can be left for later to
see what shakes out.

Notifications is vital for a push email user experience.  As much as
I'd like to say "just use IMAP IDLE over a long-lived TCP connection
with traffic channel dormancy mode," there are environments where
this just isn't supported or it doesn't work well.  There are
deployments today of various ad-hoc solutions, often some variant of
"send an SMS when new mail arrives in the Inbox."

I share the concerns over delaying the Profile document, but I wonder
if there isn't some very minimal specification that would be roughly
equivalent to what has been deployed now, which we could adopt or at
least refer to.  This would be much better than nothing, even if it
falls far short of what can be done with whatever BIFF BOF does.
--
Randall Gellens