[lisp] #22: rough support for fixing MS requires XTRs to consume packets not address to them

Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu> Thu, 17 September 2009 16:26 UTC

To: lisp@ietf.org
From: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:27:34 -0400
Subject: [lisp] #22: rough support for fixing MS requires XTRs to consume packets not address to them

Based on discussion so far, there appears to be a rough consensus in
favor of changing the MS/MR protocol so that XTRs do not need to
consume packets not addressed to them.  I'm going to start a one week
timer on this; any objections should be received by September 18.  If
there are no significant objections we'll declare rough consensus on
the technical direction proposed in the issue at
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/22.  Joel provided a bit
more detail on the cross-AFI case.

Obviously we would have a later consensus call on specific text.

I raised the issue.  Dino raised concerns about the cross-AFI case.
My original proposal and Joel's response contained solutions to Dino's
concerns.  Margaret also expressed support.  This is one of the
threads where there isn't really a lot of discussion of things other
than issue #22 with that subject line.

That said, this call is being made more to move the discussion along
than because I have high confidence we're done.  I do think there is
sufficient support to call consensus on a rough technical direction if
no one comments.  However I also suspect this message will result in
comments.  That's fine.  The goal here is to move along discussions
and to make steady progress, not to shut out discussion.

Sam Hartman
LISP co-chair