[lisp] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis-29: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 28 October 2020 01:04 UTC

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis@ietf.org, lisp-chairs@ietf.org, lisp@ietf.org, Luigi Iannone <ggx@gigix.net>, ggx@gigix.net
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 18:04:16 -0700
Subject: [lisp] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis-29: (with COMMENT)

draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis-29: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis/

COMMENT:

Thanks for the updates in the -28 and -29; they do resolve all my
Discuss points (and AFAICT the comment ones, too).  Just a handful of
remaining comments (mostly nits, though the last few are more
substantive).

We should probably normalize the spelling of "SHA256" vs "SHA-256" --
there is even one place where we write "HMAC-SHA-256-128+HKDF-SHA256"
with both forms in the same expression.

Abstract

   database designs.  Since these devices implement the "edge" of the
   LISP Control-Plane infrastructure, connecting EID addressable nodes
   of a LISP site, it the implementation and operational complexity of
   the overall cost and effort of deploying LISP.

nit: something seems off starting around "it the implementation".

Section 1.1

   1.  LISP-SEC MUST be implemented [I-D.ietf-lisp-sec].  This means
       that the S-bit MUST be set in the Map-Reply (Section 5.4), Map-
       Register (Section 5.6) and Encapsulated Control messages
       (Section 5.8).

nit: while this is (IMO) unambiguous, s/implemented/in force/ (or
similar) might be a more conventional way to refer to the behavior
presented in the second sentence.

Section 5.3

   "verifying Map-Request" through the mapping database to validate thge
   "piggybacked" mapping data.

nit: s/thge/the/

Section 6.1

It looks like in the process of cleaning up after "SMR-triggered
Map-Requests always go to the mapping system" we also (accidentally?)
removed a sentence about "for security reasons, an ITR MUST NOT process
unsolicited Map-Replies".  IIUC that sentence was here to motivate the
SMR/SMR-invoked-Map-Request processing, and so it no longer makes much
sense in this location, but it does still seem an important point to
make.  I could see this going in either Section 5.5 (defining the
EID-to-RLOC UDP Map-Reply processing) or Section 9 (security
considerations), though of course if you think it makes sense somewhere
else that would be fine, too.

Section 12.5

Please update the 'KDF' reference for HMAC-SHA256-128+HKDF-SHA256 to
point to RFC 5869 (not RFC 4868).

Also, please add a brief note that specifies the interpretation of the
KDF() arguments when the RFC 5869 HKDF is used.  This could be something
like:

% When HKDF [RFC5869] is used as the LISP KDF, the first argument to
% KDF() is used as the HKDF 'IKM', and the second argument to KDF() is used
% as the HKDF 'info'.

(If we were really excited we could rename 's' from being a "salt" to
being a "contextualization string", but I feel like the cost/benefit
analysis does not actually favor making that change.  I merely note it
because what we call a "salt" is different than what RFC5869 uses as
"salt", but there is not a strong requirement for consistency of
terminology across the entire RFC corpus.)