Re: [lisp] Suggested UDP checksum text

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Mon, 31 August 2009 21:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:02:15 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Dino Farinacci <dino@cisco.com>, "lisp@ietf.org" <lisp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [lisp] Suggested UDP checksum text

I think the wordsmithing on the UDP checksum got tangled up.
Whenever you get to making a revision, assuming that the WG stays with
the intent of what you have written (which seems like a good choice to
me), I would suggest:

UDP Checksum: this field MAY be set to 0 by an ITR on transmission.
     Alternatively, an ITR MAY compute and store a valid UDP checksum
     in this field during transmission.   Upon receipt, and ETR MUST
     accept a value of 0 as valid for this field, and consider the UDP
     packet valid.  If an ETR receives a non-zero value  in the
     checksum, field it MAY compute and validate the UDP checksum for
     the packet.  If it chooses to do so, it is expected to discard
     UDP packets with invalid non-zero checksums.
Then include the note text you already have.

Does that make sense?  Saying "When an ITR transmits...an ETR may
compute is confusing.  It is particularly confusing since the note
indicates that the ETR can not tell whether the ITR or someone else
filled in the checksum field with a non-zero value.

Yours,
Joel