[lisp] Fwd: [pim] PIM WG recharter

Dino Farinacci <farinacci@gmail.com> Tue, 03 February 2015 00:41 UTC

Return-Path: <farinacci@gmail.com>
X-Original-To: lisp@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: lisp@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id C0BAE1A87CC; Mon, 2 Feb 2015 16:41:30 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.399
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.399 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.001, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, J_CHICKENPOX_14=0.6, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id jel45RCIUUYD; Mon, 2 Feb 2015 16:41:27 -0800 (PST)
Received: from mail-pa0-x22e.google.com (mail-pa0-x22e.google.com [IPv6:2607:f8b0:400e:c03::22e]) (using TLSv1 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-RC4-SHA (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 7CF411A8747; Mon, 2 Feb 2015 16:41:27 -0800 (PST)
Received: by mail-pa0-f46.google.com with SMTP id lj1so88925009pab.5; Mon, 02 Feb 2015 16:41:26 -0800 (PST)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=from:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:subject :message-id:date:references:to; bh=q4bxXNftyFurDe9Z+uo5IUw8PrqEn4cHq2bt026qKT0=; b=a2jbckDtuCAOKeZgKtaoACu6wmChZVK6tc2ZHV/zNQzj9iIgEzntBOYkbmmqC1K3w0 a13wJuBxxqx9tRh4AXWtGdOjJ5hvfrHLC+ogdWMM80CI0JwFhXWoSF7kxxTTd3aMW1G7 D74s/AOsYPWqlsa/il2VjzS5rAsXCIN00L+tudRelrFruJ0iGhjfFDGjDdHmlmDqzd4b ZeQMrXAKK3w2Z0CqF1pfoLMy66i6mhb5JNJ7kLxAjV4lVwVzTZb0Aiob5Unz5BZpyy+A N+LsVuGPnzJwyUhVZgQbPtRPFmr5igkVGFmnqVv8mRHqohquACcSMCO63INJCkyKYfh7 JZ6g==
X-Received: by 10.70.129.75 with SMTP id nu11mr893312pdb.151.1422924086753; Mon, 02 Feb 2015 16:41:26 -0800 (PST)
Received: from [10.43.188.151] ([166.170.42.125]) by mx.google.com with ESMTPSA id oe5sm234906pbc.33.2015.02.02.16.41.24 (version=TLSv1 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-RC4-SHA bits=128/128); Mon, 02 Feb 2015 16:41:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Dino Farinacci <farinacci@gmail.com>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=Apple-Mail-2D7AF672-9752-4884-834F-6E9E205CDB42
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Mime-Version: 1.0 (1.0)
Message-Id: <5CD12478-B9AC-4ADC-9743-B4461CD88574@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 16:41:22 -0800
References: <6F5149063CE40341BE7953160A93C5A0012526E4@eusaamb109.ericsson.se>
To: LISP mailing list list <lisp@ietf.org>, pim@ietf.org
X-Mailer: iPhone Mail (12B466)
Archived-At: <http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/lisp/Rfp8JUcJ1V_4s7KvXpNfH9b2u0o>
Subject: [lisp] Fwd: [pim] PIM WG recharter
X-BeenThere: lisp@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: List for the discussion of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol <lisp.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/lisp>, <mailto:lisp-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lisp/>
List-Post: <mailto:lisp@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:lisp-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp>, <mailto:lisp-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 00:41:31 -0000

Forwarding to the LISP WG mailing list. 

Dino


Begin forwarded message:

> From: Mike McBride <mike.mcbride@ericsson.com>
> Date: February 2, 2015 at 4:06:47 PM PST
> To: "pim@ietf.org" <pim@ietf.org>
> Subject: Re: [pim] PIM WG recharter
> 
> Thank you for the input on the recharter text. Very helpful. Below is the latest revision and the newest text is in red and encapsulated in *s. Hopefully this clearly addresses concerns about potential land grabbing (again, good bier folks, we like you, but don't want you, we hope you find a nice new home) and yet allows mcast wg to be the catch all for the mcast protocol homeless. If you don't like certain wording please propose better text. We are hoping to have consensus by end of this week.
>  
> thanks,
> mike
>  
> Charter for Working Group
>  
> The standardization of PIM was completed with RFC 4601 within the PIM WG. The MCAST WG has determined there is additional work to be accomplished and is chartered to standardize extensions to RFC 4601 - Protocol Independent Multicast Version 2 - Sparse Mode, along with extensions to PIM-SSM and PIM-BIDIR. These multicast extensions will involve reliability, resiliency, scalability, management, mobility and security. The MCAST WG will continue to work on developing the IGMP/MLD protocols as *required* to achieve the robustness needed, particularly in mobile environments.
>  
> As other WGs determine that support for multicast in their domains requires multicast specific extensions to PIM, IGMP/MLD, IGPs, or other yet to be invented multicast specific protocols, then such extensions *and protocols* should be developed within the MCAST WG *if they don't have a more relevant WG home*. Additional work on existing PIM-BIDIR, BSR and SSM drafts may also be necessary by the WG as these drafts progress through Standards Track.
>  
> *The MCAST WG will be responsible for protocol development for both multicast overlays and underlays unless otherwise specified in another working group. When multicast related specifications occur outside the MCAST WG, the MCAST WG will provide advice as requested.*
>  
> The working group has produced MIB modules for PIM in RFC 5060 and RFC 5240. The MCAST WG will work on proposals that update or extend the existing MIB modules and will develop YANG modules for multicast protocols.
>  
> The MCAST WG will further enhance RFC4601 as an even more scalable, efficient and robust multicast routing protocol, which is capable of supporting thousands of groups, different types of multicast applications, and all major underlying layer-2 subnetwork technologies. We will accomplish these enhancements by submitting drafts, to the IESG, involving reliable multicast, pim join attributes and authentication.
>  
> There is a significant number of errata that need to be addressed in order to advance RFC4601 to Internet Standard. The MCAST WG will correct the errata and update RFC4601.
>  
> The working group will initiate a new re-chartering effort if it is determined that a Version 3 of PIM is required.
>  
>  
>  
> -----Original Message-----
> From: pim [mailto:pim-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Mike McBride
> Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:31 PM
> To: pim@ietf.org
> Subject: [pim] PIM WG recharter
>  
> Hello all,
>  
> Stig and I hope you had a wonderful start to your new year.
>  
> We hope to have a wonderful start for pim in 2015 as well. We've discussed rechartering for the past year and Stig and I have made a first pass below. Thanks to Bill Atwood and Lucy Yong in providing edits to this draft. Please review and comment on this proposed new charter and wg renaming. Through the MCAST WG (Protocols) and the MBONED WG (Operations) we should be able to more effectively standardize multicast technologies.
>  
> Thanks,
> mike
>  
> New:
>  
> Charter for Working Group
>  
> The standardization of PIM was completed with RFC 4601 within the PIM WG. The MCAST WG has determined there is additional work to be accomplished and is chartered to standardize extensions to RFC 4601 - Protocol Independent Multicast Version 2 - Sparse Mode, along with extensions to PIM-SSM and PIM-BIDIR. These multicast extensions will involve reliability, resiliency, scalability, management, mobility and security. The MCAST WG will continue to work on developing the IGMP/MLD protocols as needed to achieve the robustness needed, particularly in mobile environments.
>  
> As other WGs determine that support for multicast in their domains requires multicast specific extensions to PIM, IGMP/MLD, IGPs, or other yet to be invented multicast specific protocols, then such extensions should be developed within the MCAST WG. Additional work on existing PIM-BIDIR, BSR and SSM drafts may also be necessary by the WG as these drafts progress through Standards Track.
>  
> The working group has produced MIB modules for PIM in RFC 5060 and RFC 5240. The MCAST WG will work on proposals that update or extend the existing MIB modules and will develop YANG modules for multicast protocols.
>  
> The MCAST WG will further enhance RFC4601 as an even more scalable, efficient and robust multicast routing protocol, which is capable of supporting thousands of groups, different types of multicast applications, and all major underlying layer-2 subnetwork technologies. We will accomplish these enhancements by submitting drafts, to the IESG, involving reliable multicast, pim join attributes and authentication.
>  
> There is a significant number of errata that need to be addressed in order to advance RFC4601 to Internet Standard. The MCAST WG will correct the errata and update RFC4601.
>  
> The working group will initiate a new re-chartering effort if it is determined that a Version 3 of PIM is required.
>  
> Current:
>  
> Charter for Working Group
>  
> The Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) Working Group has completed the standardization of PIM with RFC 4601. The WG has determined there is additional work to be accomplished and is chartered to standardize extensions to RFC 4601 - Protocol Independent Multicast Version 2 - Sparse Mode. These PIM extensions will involve reliability, resiliency, scalability, management, and security.
>  
> If L2VPN or L3VPN WGs determine that support for multicast in L2VPNs and/or L3VPNs requires extensions to PIM, then such extensions will be developed within the PIM WG.
>  
> Additional work on the PIM-BIDIR and BSR drafts may also be necessary by the WG as these drafts progress through Standards Track.
>  
> The working group has produced MIB modules for PIM in RFC 5060 and RFC 5240. The working group currently has no plans to do further work on management for PIM. If proposals are brought forward to update or extend the existing MIB modules or to develop YANG modules, the working group will be rechartered.
>  
> The PIM WG will further enhance RFC4601 as an even more scalable, efficient and robust multicast routing protocol, which is capable of supporting thousands of groups, different types of multicast applications, and all major underlying layer-2 subnetwork technologies.
> We will accomplish these enhancements by submitting drafts, to the IESG, involving reliable pim, pim join attributes and pim authentication.
>  
> The working group primarily works on extensions to PIM, but may take on work related to IGMP/MLD.
>  
> There is a significant number of errata that need to be addressed in order to advance RFC4601 to Draft Standard. The PIM WG will correct the errata, as necessary, and update RFC4601.
>  
> The working group will initiate a new re-chartering effort if it is determined that a Version 3 of PIM is required.
>  
> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> pim@ietf.org
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim
>  
> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> pim@ietf.org
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim