[lmap] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-trammell-mplane-protocol-00.txt

Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch> Fri, 28 August 2015 06:43 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 08:43:21 +0200
To: lmap@ietf.org
Subject: [lmap] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-trammell-mplane-protocol-00.txt

Greetings, all,

As background to a comment made by Robert Kisteleki during the LMAP session in Prague on protocols for collaborative measurement among autonomous and heterogeneous measurement agents and systems, we've recently submitted the mPlane protocol specification as an I-D for the information of the LMAP WG and the IETF community as a whole.

There are some fundamental differences between mPlane's design and that of LMAP over NET/RESTCONF, as we're trying to solve somewhat different problems. These are related both to the presumed autonomy of the measurement agents ("probes" in mPlane-ese) and the reduced scope of the problem mPlane tries to solve (management of the components is assumed to be out of band and component-specific, itself an implication of this autonomy); the corresponding architectural principles are detailed in Section 3. We're therefore not proposing anything like LMAP-over-mPlane, but we do see ease of interoperability between the two protocols as a definite goal of mPlane, probably in terms of defining an LMAP core registry for building mplane capabilities to represent LMAP measurements, and defining an algorithm for mapping capabilities to measurement tasks.

Work on the protocol and applications thereof is ongoing (see https://ict-mplane.eu/ for the consortium's website). There's running code behind this, an alpha-quality-but-improving SDK for Python 3, at https://github.com/fp7mplane/protocol-ri. See README.md there for instructions on getting started if you'd like to play around with it.

Cheers,

Brian