Re: [lmap] IPFIX vs LMAP

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Thu, 31 January 2013 07:00 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:00:14 +0100
To: Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>
Cc: lmap@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [lmap] IPFIX vs LMAP

Hi, Mark, all,

IPFIX is a push-based data export protocol for network-relevant data (sampled packets with PSAMP, flows, flow aggregates, etc.). It defines a set of Information Elements (IEs) (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipfix) mainly applicable to layers 2 through 4, and a binary data export protocol in which record types are defined through templates (vectors of these IEs).

As for IPFIX in LMAP, for any arrangement in which an MA is exporting data on demand to a collector, and that data is semantically relatively flat (think tables, not arbitrary trees), it's certainly applicable as a reporting protocol. When looking at the architecture in RFC5470 in LMAP terms, the Metering Process and the Exporting Process are the MA, and the Collecting Process is the collector.

RFC6728 defines a configuration data model for IPFIX entities using NETCONF; I'm not a NETCONF expert though, so it's not clear to me how easily this could be adapted into a controller-MA protocol for LMAP.

There are as yet no bindings between IPFIX and the IPPM metrics, though we expect IEs to be defined for common IPPM metrics within IPPM, perhaps based on one of the draft-bagnulo-ippm-new-registry drafts. (Note that there are already some non-IPPM performance metrics in the registry: IEs 385-387 use the RFC3550 definition of jitter, instead of IPPM delay variation.)

Best regards,

Brian