Re: [lmap] more comments on draft-akhter-lmap-framework

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Sun, 28 July 2013 17:10 UTC

From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: aakhter@cisco.com, lmap@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 18:09:59 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Cc: paitken@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [lmap] more comments on draft-akhter-lmap-framework

thanks, a few more follow-ups!

In the terminology draft we tried to distinguish the "Measurement Agent" and the "Measurement Peer". The MA interacts with the Controller and Collector, whilst the MP only interacts with the MA.
below you talk about MA to MA comms and control channel. i'm not sure if this is simply a terminology difference (ie what I'd call MA-MP comms - OWAMP, IPPM stuff etc) or whether you also want comms between (what I term) two MAs?

you mention a test that 'saturates the path'. how to achieve this depends where the bottleneck is expected to be? if the access link, then the MA has got to be involved?
thanks for the picture in your sldes for the meeting - that will be very helpful

i think your Measurement Task ID is similar to the Cycle ID in draft-eardley-terminology?
Cycle-ID: A tag that is sent by the Controller in an Instruction and
   echoed by the MA in its Report; Measurement Results with the same
   Cycle-ID are expected to be comparable.

   The purpose of the Cycle-ID is to allow the data analysis tools to
   identify easily Measurement Results that are expected to be
   comparable, typically because the associated Measurement Tasks all
   operate the same Measurement Method with the same values for its
   parameters.  This set of Measurement Tasks could be termed the
   Measurement Cycle.

[I'd been thinking that a specific Cycle-ID would apply only to a particular MA, but I guess there's no reason why a Controller shouldn't send the same Cycle-ID to more than one MA, if it knows that the Measurement Result will be comparable]

thanks

phil