Re: [lmap] degrees of Measurement Suppression

Charles Cook <charles.cook2@centurylink.com> Tue, 10 December 2013 23:24 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:24:08 -0700
From: Charles Cook <charles.cook2@centurylink.com>
To: Steve Miller <steve@idrathernotsay.com>
Cc: "'lmap@ietf.org'" <lmap@ietf.org>, "Bugenhagen, Michael K" <Michael.K.Bugenhagen@centurylink.com>, "'STARK, BARBARA H'" <bs7652@att.com>
Subject: Re: [lmap] degrees of Measurement Suppression

Just some thoughts...

I just finished reading the framework draft.  As written, it talks about
large-scale measurements, but does not really define the magnitude of
large-scale.  It also states that end-users can request that
measurements be done on their behalf, and that measurements can
potentially run indefinitely.  Although not mentioned in the framework,
a service provider could offer a measurement service that under normal
conditions runs essentially continuously when the end user is not
transmitting their own data.    In other words, we don't know what the
upper bound is on what can be running in the network as measurements.
Consequently, we need to assume worst case.

Using the national emergency analogy, I suggest that during an emergency
is when you want to do everything possible to improve communications as
much as possible.  It is essential that there be a mechanism that
eliminates measurements almost immediately, if necessary.  If
"large-scale" measurements are being done, it probably is not scalable
for a Controller to send an individual message to each MA.  Furthermore,
the emergency may directly affect the Controller and prevent it from
sending messages.  The MA needs an easy way to assess the state of the
network and respond accordingly.  It is relatively easy for the MA to
poll the network before starting a measurement, and then continue to
periodically poll during the measurement.  If there is no response, the
MA assumes there is a network issue and terminates the measurement.

There probably needs to be more than a go / no-go response from the
network to account for varying degrees of the condition of the network.
There probably needs to be at least three states, but if there are too
many states it complicates the measurement system.  If there are three
states then an MA can run the measurement, terminate the measurement, or
complete certain measurements and then cease further measurements until
the appropriate network conditions are restored.  MA behavior in
response to network conditions to a certain extent could be
pre-provisioned in the MA by the operational domain owner responsible
for the MA.  There may also be some benefit in dictating behavior in the
Instruction from the Controller.

Charles