Re: [lmap] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lmap-framework-08.txt

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Fri, 08 August 2014 16:35 UTC

From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: lmap@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 17:35:27 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Subject: Re: [lmap] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lmap-framework-08.txt

Hi,

I just submitted an update of the framework document. This updates with the clarifications requested in the recent WG last call and agreed during the Toronto meeting.

There aren't many changes compared with -07, you'll shortly be able to see them via the Diff link at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lmap-framework  (html version of -08 not yet appeared)

I think there is only one technical change that wasn't discussed in Toronto. This results from working with Mike Bugenhagen about his comments. So we've added a couple of bits of text about "measurement point designations" (these were already mentioned in S8.6.2 (Mitigations .. Anonymity) but not earlier in the document) (background: they're discussed in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-lmap-path-05  which is in IETF last call)

In Instruction, add to Measurement Task configuration:
* optionally, the measurement point designation [I-D.ietf-ippm-lmap-path] of the MA and, if applicable, of the MP or other MA. This can be useful for reporting.

In S5.4 add to the list of what the Report contains:
* the measurement point designation of the MA and, if applicable, the MP or other MA, if the information was included in the Instruction. This numbering system is defined in [I-D.ietf-ippm-lmap-path] and allows a Measurement Report to describe abstractly the path measured (for example, "from a MA at a home gateway to a MA at a DSLAM"). Also, the MA can anonymise results by including measurement point designations instead of IP addresses (Section 8.6.2).

I add the couple of small clarifications, following up Matt M's comment - as mentioned in http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lmap/current/msg01739.html

I've also worked through all the editorial comments - thanks. I think I accounted for them all, except two:

Ken said
<< This comment applies to all of the figures - leave the detail in the message structures to the Information Model.>>
I didn't reduce the level of detail in the figures - think it's useful for the high-level protocol model to illustrate. I added a note:
<< (If there is any
   difference between this document and the Information Model, the
   latter is definitive, since it is on the standards track.)  >>

Juergen said
<< Section 8.4.4 .. It is not clear why a detailed figure is needed here.>>
We thought this it was worth keeping, as it's the high-level protocol model picture (and RFC4101 encourages pictures)

Best wishes
phil