Re: [lp-wan] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-03.txt

"weigengyu" <weigengyu@bupt.edu.cn> Sat, 13 May 2017 06:00 UTC

From: weigengyu <weigengyu@bupt.edu.cn>
To: lp-wan@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 13:57:56 +0800
Subject: Re: [lp-wan] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-03.txt

HI,

In draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-03,
3.  Static Context Header Compression

Figure 1 based on [I-D.ietf-lpwan-overview] terminology represents the
architecture for compression/decompression.

In draft-farrell-lpwan-overview-04,
2.1. LoRaWAN
[[Ed: Text here is from [I-D.farrell-lpwan-lora-overview]]]

In draft-farrell-lpwan-lora-overview-01,
2. Terminology
o End-device: a LoRa client device, sometimes called a mote. Communicates
with gateways.

o Classes A, B and C define different device capabilities and modes of
operation for end-devices. End-devices can transmit uplink
messages at any time in any mode of operation (so long as e.g., ISM band
restrictions are honoured). An end-device in Class A can
only receive downlink messages at predetermined timeslots after each uplink
message transmission. Class B allows the end-device
to receive downlink messages at periodically scheduled timeslots. Class C
allows receipt of downlink messages at anytime. Class
selection is based on the end-devices’ application use case and its power
supply. (While Classes B and C are not further
described here, readers may have seen those terms elsewhere so we include
them for clarity.)

Based on the descriptions above, it is not clear for me to see whether the
end-device requires the UDP facilities.

Regards,

Gengyu WEI
Network Technology Center
School of Computer
Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications