Re: [Lsr] "IGP Extensions for Segment Routing Service Segment" -draft-lz-lsr-igp-sr-service-segments-02

Hannes Gredler <hannes@gredler.at> Wed, 29 July 2020 07:13 UTC

From: Hannes Gredler <hannes@gredler.at>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 09:13:45 +0200
Cc: Acee Lindem <acee@cisco.com>, zzhang_ietf@hotmail.com, lsr@ietf.org
To: liu.yao71@zte.com.cn
Subject: Re: [Lsr] "IGP Extensions for Segment Routing Service Segment" -draft-lz-lsr-igp-sr-service-segments-02

Yao,

BGP-LS was designed to solve also the distribution of link-state information between BGP speakers (see Figure 1 from RFC 7752 below).
Just ask yourself: why would one want to use a point to multipoint state replication protocol as complex as BGP for *just* client server alike replication ?

We wanted from day-1 to leverage the graph independent replication abilities of BGP - so doing inter BGP-LS graphs is a legit use-case.

HTH,

/hannes

---

   The collection of link-state and TE information and its distribution
   to consumers is shown in the following figure.

                           +-----------+
                           | Consumer  |
                           +-----------+
                                 ^

                           +-----------+
                           |    BGP    |               +-----------+
                           |  Speaker  |               | Consumer  |
                           +-----------+               +-----------+
                             ^   ^   ^                       ^
                             |   |   |                       |
             +---------------+   |   +-------------------+   |
       |    BGP    |       |    BGP    |             |    BGP    |
       |  Speaker  |       |  Speaker  |    . . .    |  Speaker  |
            IGP                 IGP                       IGP

           Figure 1: Collection of Link-State and TE Information

---