RE: Use of RFC 2119 terms in requirements docs (was RE: Comments on LTANS documents)

Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org> Sat, 31 July 2004 18:15 UTC

Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:15:10 -0700
From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Subject: RE: Use of RFC 2119 terms in requirements docs (was RE: Comments on LTANS documents)
To: 'IETF LTANS' <ietf-ltans@imc.org>
Sender: owner-ietf-ltans@mail.imc.org

(assuming everyone is on the ltans mailing list and doesn't
 want to get two copies)

Jeff,

I can't tell, from your message, whether you are in favor or opposed
to the use of RFC 2119 keywords in our document.

In the case of these particular documents, I wonder a little
about their positioning. It would seem that the business of
the IETF isn't so much to define the functional characteristics
of a long-term archive or a notary service 'must be', but rather
to define an Internet protocol for accessing such services.

>From that point of view, it's important to define what a
long-term archive service does, what it's important characteristics
are, and to define what a notary service might do, so that
we can then define a standard protocol for accessing those
services.

But there's no point in defining what an archive service MUST
do, except where it comes to its network interface. We can hardly
mandate, oh, putting the service in a physically secure location,
at least in the IETF. Perhaps if you're intending to purchase
an archive service and writing an RFP, you'd want to use these
kinds of terms, because you'll be judging compliance of your
purchase against this.

The charter says:

# The objective of the LTANS working group is to define requirements, data
# structures and protocols for the secure usage of the necessary archive
# and notary services.

and let me emphasize "THE SECURE USAGE OF".  Some of the 'requirements'
in these documents seem to be requirements on the services themselves,
and not on the protocol for accessing them.

For example, just to take the first MUST in
draft-ietf-ltans-notareqs-00.txt

#  The notary service has to record private transactions, e.g.
#  transactions of ownership. Additionally to the recording it MUST
#  be able to guarantee and provide documentation that all necessary
#  information has been provided to all involved parties.

This 'MUST' is not a protocol requirement. In many circumstances,
it's not even something that is possible to evaluate. I don't
think we will be in the business of judging the mechanisms by
which operations that function as a 'notary service' have realistic
means of guaranteeing what they say they guarantee.

If there's a protocol requirement, it's that the protocol needs
some way of COMMUNICATING the notary service's statement of
guarantee. A guarantee is never a 100% guarantee anyway, there
are usually conditions and circumstances. Should the protocol
allow for those, or are they communicated out of band? I think
that's the design question before us.

On the other hand, to pick another (not upper case) 'must' from
draft-ietf-ltans-reqs-01.txt,

#   Submitters must be able to specify an archivation period.

It's not clear that this is a reasonable requirement to be
'MUST', since it doesn't say what are reasonable
ranges, or whether a service must support all ranges, or
is free to ignore the archivation period. Is it possible
to have a long term archive service which doesn't support
deletion, for which all records are kept 'forever'?

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net

Larry