RE: security issue in archive timestamp chain?

"Tobias Gondrom" <tgondrom@opentext.com> Wed, 12 September 2007 16:15 UTC

Subject: RE: security issue in archive timestamp chain?
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:12:15 +0200
From: Tobias Gondrom <tgondrom@opentext.com>
To: Vittek Robert <vittek@ditec.sk>, ietf-ltans@imc.org
Cc: Santosh Chokhani <chokhani@orionsec.com>, Carl Wallace <CWallace@cygnacom.com>, todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
Sender: owner-ietf-ltans@mail.imc.org

Hello Vittek,

I am not sure I fully understand your problem.

Maybe this recommendation helps: in real world usage an initial ATS-1 is applied ASAP (right after any potential grace period), which I personally would assume as a very short time span.

This means by applying a first ATS initially after archiving you keep t5 very near to t4 and also have the advantage that you do not need to watch over all the signatures and their cryptographic algorithms individually but rather watch the algorithms used in ATS-1.

We had a validate draft, which recently expired, which also describes a bit how to handle these things, but I did not find the time to update the draft yet:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltans-validate-01

greetings, Tobias