[Ltru] Re: Preferred-Value cycles (was: Registry deltas)

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net> Fri, 06 October 2006 05:47 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 22:47:50 -0700
Subject: [Ltru] Re: Preferred-Value cycles (was: Registry deltas)

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> Last but not least it would eliminate the "hakka" reference in a
> Preferred-Value, where "hakka" is the only "non-subtag" in any
> reference.

You are presuming a rule where none exists.  A grandfathered tag may
have another grandfathered tag as its Preferred-Value.  There is no
restriction against this , no reason it should not be possible, and the
fact there is only one such situation -- because two people
independently happened to register tags for Hakka under RFC 1766 -- does
not change any of that.

>> there is no "collision" between 5- to 8-letter language subtags (if
>> any existed) and 5- to 8-letter variant subtags, any more than there
>> is a collision between "ar" for Arabic and "AR" for Argentina.
>
> Of course there is for naive implementations, the theory of the 4646
> structure is that you can decompose a tag into subtags, and still tell
> what's what based alone on its length.

The theory is "length plus position" where position is relative to other
subtags.

> 3 digits => UN number
> 3 alpha  => language (for 4646)
> 4 alpha at begin => language (reserved)
> 4 alpha later => script
> 4 alnum starting with a digit => variant
> 2 alpha at begin => language
> 2 alpha later => region
> 5..8 alpha at begin => language
> 5..8 alnum later => variant

You have created a slightly simplified, almost 100% accurate version of
the real rules, described in RFC 4646 Section 2.2 ff.  It is not 100%
accurate, though.

> In my old 4646 validator I've implemented this by adding a dummy
> hyphen for anything that's not "at begin", and after that it was as
> you said obvious that "AR" (case insensitive) is not "-AR".
>
> For 4646bis that isn't good enough anymore, because language and
> extlang share the same namespace, as soon as there is a language "ang"
> there can't be an extlang "-ang".

You don't need to do this.  If you are truly "validating," as opposed to
checking well-formedness, you have to be using the Registry -- so you
can simply look there to see whether a language "ang" exists and whether
an extlang "ang" exists.

In my validator I used the real rules, and everything works just as well
for 4646bis as for 4646.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/