Re: [Ltru] Geocoordinates

CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com> Thu, 12 March 2009 17:27 UTC

From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
To: ltru@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:28:13 -0400
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Geocoordinates

What is going to happen to the suggestion we allow wild cards to be registered as prefixes & incorporate that into the next draft of RFC 4646?

Is that tabled too?  Or was that never an option?; I recall only Doug's saying that this addition was too late for the current edition of 4646 & not that it would never be an option:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg11947.html

(also where will ISO 639-6 data be looked at?  at ietf?)

Otherwise I haven't an informed opinion on the closing of this list or ISO 639-6;

however I hope ietf will continue to let users apply for their own variant subtags.

(Back to the geocoordinates post, since you've not changed the subject line, I think that geocoordinates might in a few cases help get variants subtags in a way that is further removed from the political muddle around some . . . but think this can be handled at ietf on a case-by-case basis; so it's not a wholly idiot suggestion; on a large scale it might be cumbersome . . . & all that's needed for now is to tag language use that's current on the internet not the dialects and varieties used in every corner of the globe, not till they get online; it's the need to look at variants that might be overlooked with the overlooking perceived as a political slight that makes it especially important to have a method for registering new variants . . .  )

Best,

C. E. Whitehead

cewcathar@hotmail.com

From: John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:03:54 -0400
> Of course the Registry would become bigger than ever, > and some of
> He Who Must Not Be Named's concerns would actually

> become realities,
> like whether authorized mirrors would be needed to hold > down on the
> number of downloads.  On the other hand, we could

> pretty well shut down
ietf-languages@, since there would be little or nothing left to approve
outside the 639 framework