[Ltru] Re: Fallback vs. Macrolanguage? (was: John Cowan throws in...)

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@roadrunner.com> Sat, 01 December 2007 04:39 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@roadrunner.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:38:58 -0800
Subject: [Ltru] Re: Fallback vs. Macrolanguage? (was: John Cowan throws in...)

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

>> Wouldn't it be easier, more consistent, cleaner, and cherry-free...
>
> I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to fall back in all cases
> of macrolanguages (as Peter's list shows), and it may well be
> appropriate to fall back in some cases that aren't macrolanguages at
> all (Breton -> French is the example we've talked about a lot).  Using
> a different name lets us decouple from 639-3's particular choices.

We can keep the Macrolanguage name and follow the ISO 639-3 mappings
exactly, or we can give this field a new name (such as John's
suggestion, "Fallback") and cherry-pick the ones like Chinese and Arabic
where one variety dominates.  I think it would be too confusing to have
both, as I said before about having both a Macrolanguage field and
extlangs.

However, I strongly oppose any efforts to add our own, non-ISO 639
mappings to the Registry, even seemingly obvious ones like Breton ->
French.  That way lies complete madness.  We will never come anywhere
close to getting all of them, and we will be reviled for "ignoring" the
ones we miss, and every decision to either include or not include some
mapping will be viewed by someone as an intentional slight or attempted
subjugation of one of the languages involved.  Please, let's leave this
kind of mapping up to each application.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell