Re: [Ltru] Process

Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com> Tue, 26 September 2006 02:28 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:27:47 -0700
From: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>
To: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Process
Cc: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>

I've spent some time today thinking about this. My thoughts:

I'm not sure that changing the format of the reviewer job from an
individual to a group would necessarily improve the process. I think the
problem with the reviewer job as presently constituted is that it allows
for arbitrary and binding decisions by an individual and that it
provides a lack of clarity during the process.

I think the process would best be improved if:

1. Requests were posted to a Web site, along with their current status
and expiry dates for the current review period and/or process state. The
most recent approved/rejected items should be visible as well as items
in progress. I-D tracker is a good model here.

2. Requests should be considered as constituted. Consensus decisions
should be made about a specific record as requested. Changes to the
requested record should restart the consideration period. This allows
for a more reasoned discussion with clear date points.

3. Approved items should have a grace period before being forwarded to
IANA. This allows any disagreements with the reviewer's decision to be
decided on the list or appealed to the IESG. Infinite delaying tactics
must be prevented. So should "pocket vetoes" on the part of the
reviewer. But it should be entirely clear when something is approved and
a few days delay in case of a "bad decision" will not hurt anything.

4. Rejections must take the form of either rule violations of BCP 47
(preventing the registration) or must be decisions about list consensus
by the reviewer. I think the reviewer's opinion should not count for
more than everyone else on the list's opinion. By reducing the reviewer
to "chair of the list", we also reduce appeal inducing decisions to
those normal to the IETF, that is: that the consensus of the list was
flawed.

I think this last is important. When Mark and I started this adventure,
Mark also registered some stopgap tags. These did reach list
consensus--except for the reviewer, who had to be threatened with appeal
(at that time unprecedented in list history) to get him to forward the
registrations. Removing the arbitrary judgment element from the
reviewer's job does not remove the reviewer's "bully pulpit", but it
does make this process more reasoned.

So I find that I'm not ready quite yet to support Mark's edits as they
sit, although I'm *highly* sympathetic to them, having observed the
general dysfunctionality of ietf-languages of late. It should be easy,
clear, and entirely straightforward to get a registration... and
rejections should also be clear. If something remedial can be done to
them, then the registrant should be clear on what that is. I think we
can achieve that best *not* creating a review board, but rather by
pulling the sometimes-arcane rules together more tightly and improving
the transparency of the process.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips