[Ltru] Errors in prototype 4646bis Registry

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net> Wed, 20 September 2006 04:58 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:58:24 -0700
Subject: [Ltru] Errors in prototype 4646bis Registry

There are two problems in the prototype RFC 4646bis Registry I posted a
few days ago.

The first problem is an extra trailing space-and-asterisk in 13
Description fields, for the language subtag records that have an extlang
with the same name.  The group agreed (I think) not to change any
existing names, although that means we will have (for example) a
language subtag called "Konkani" and "Konkani (macrolanguage)" and an
extlang also called "Konkani".  I marked these 13 cases with an asterisk
so they could be easily removed (or retained) after the decision was
made, and forgot to rip out the asterisks before posting.

The second problem runs a bit deeper.  ISO 639-2 just added a new code
element "zza" with six names, one of which is "Dimli".  ISO 639-3 has a
code element "diq" with the name "Dimli".  If both of these are admitted
into the Registry, there will be two subtags of the *same type* with the
same Description.  No matter what anyone says about retaining the
"official" ISO names, that is not a tolerable situation.

Peter indicated on ietf-languages that the ISO 639 JAC would decide what
to do about this in due course, but until they do, I need to know what
to do with the Registry.  I'll post an updated version when a decision
is reached.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA