[Ltru] Extensions in general (was: Re: Fwd: draft-davis-t-langtag-ext )

"Doug Ewell" <doug@ewellic.org> Sun, 10 July 2011 15:58 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>
To: ltru@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:31:55 -0600
Subject: [Ltru] Extensions in general (was: Re: Fwd: draft-davis-t-langtag-ext )

Debbie Garside <debbie at ictmarketing dot co dot uk> wrote:

> I'm not sure that I see where the "overhead" is.  Can you elaborate?

The overhead would be in revising BCP 47 to change the extension
mechanism or add a new one.

> Keeping everything in one place/list has got to be easier for the end
> user.  I still cannot see any real reason for taking this out of IETF
> other than BCP47 allows for it.

Having everything in one place is easier for the user (which is why I
don't like scattering the values for either -t- or -u- across multiple
files), but there is a reason.  It's not just that "BCP47 allows for
it."  We who worked on BCP 47 *wanted* it to allow for this, so that
"well-regulated" individuals and organizations that came up with new
needs for BCP 47 could implement them in a systematic way, and not force
the LTRU group to go back and rewrite the RFC again, at an expense of
several years and much political and bureaucratic strife, and probable
scope creep like last time.

By creating an extension, nothing is being "taken out of" ietf-languages
that was already there, except to the extent that transliterations etc.
have heretofore been handled by registering variants (through
ietf-languages) and would now be handled via the -t- extension.  That is
an issue that needs to be addressed—for example, should ietf-languages
deprecate existing variants like 'pinyin' if they become available
via -t-?  Users are supposed to be able to ignore extensions if they
don't understand them or choose not to, but they are not supposed to
ignore variants.

I agree with Addison that the question of whether the extension
mechanism is a good one (including delegating the administration of the
data to a third-party organization) is separate from the question of
whether transliterations etc. should be an extension or not, or whether
draft-davis-t-langtag-ext has any particular issues.  I suggest that
everyone read RFC 5646, Section 3.7 and decide whether they feel this
draft satisfies it.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell ­