Re: [Ltru] What people want (Was: my technical position on extlang

"Doug Ewell" <doug@ewellic.org> Sun, 25 May 2008 22:08 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 16:07:58 -0600
Subject: Re: [Ltru] What people want (Was: my technical position on extlang
Sender: ltru-bounces@ietf.org

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> Most people, in practice, say neither #1 nor #2. They say "get the
> languages I understand and like". It is not restricted to languages
> that are mutually intelligible, users expect the software to know
> everything *they* know (for instance that most literate people in
> Tunisia can read French, even if this language has no official status
> in Tunisia).

Internet Explorer 7 says, in "Language Preferences":

"Add the languages you use to read websites, listing in order of
preference.  Only add the ones you need, as some characters can be used
to impersonate websites in other languages."

It then asks me to choose between 13 different regional flavors of
English, even though I can hardly imagine a literate Web surfer who can
read one or more of these regional flavors but not all of them.  The
last thing I would want to do would be to exclude Canadian English on
the basis that it is somehow fundamentally different from United States
English.  I've set my preferred languages in IE7 to en-US, en-CA, en-GB,
and es-MX, but in doing so I've already locked out the other 10
Englishes and 19 Spanishes, all of which would be equally acceptable.

I think this nicely exemplifies, if not proves, Stéphane's point:

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org