[Ltru] Re: 4646(bis) typo / issue

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net> Mon, 25 September 2006 15:13 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:13:37 -0700
Subject: [Ltru] Re: 4646(bis) typo / issue

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

>> What or who was harmed?
>
> The integrity of the registry until it's fixed.

There is no restriction that a tag may not be grandfathered if it is
syntactically eligible to be converted into a generative tag consisting
of valid subtags, nor that the subtags may not subsequently be
registered.

That was a difficult sentence to write, and probably to read, so let's
try again:

The fact that 'en' is a valid subtag, and 'boont' could have been, does
not mean there cannot be a grandfathered tag "en-boont".  Similarly, the
fact that "en-boont" existed does not mean 'boont' could not then be
registered, making "en-boont" redundant.

RFC 4646, Section 2.2.1, item 7:
The single character subtag 'i' is used by some grandfathered tags (see
Section 2.2.8) such as "i-klingon" and "i-bnn". (Other grandfathered
tags have a primary language subtag in their first position)  [Tags that
start with a valid primary language subtag may still be grandfathered.]

Section 2.2.2:
Example: In a future revision or update of this document, the tag
"zh-gan" (registered under RFC 3066) might become a valid
non-grandfathered (that is, redundant) tag in which the subtag 'gan'
might represent the Chinese dialect 'Gan'.  [Grandfathered tags may
subsequently become redundant.]

Section 2.2.8:
Grandfathered tags contain one or more subtags that are not defined in
the Language Subtag Registry (see Section 3). Redundant tags consist
entirely of subtags defined above and whose independent registration is
superseded by this document.  [Does not say the undefined subtags cannot
later be registered.]

Section 3.3:
The grandfathered entries include those that can never be legal under
those same provisions.  [Does not say *only* those that can never be
legal.]

Records of type 'grandfathered' MAY have their type converted to
'redundant': see item 12 in Section 3.6 [recte: 3.4] for more
information.

Section 3.4, item 12:
Stability provisions apply to grandfathered tags with this exception:
should all of the subtags in a grandfathered tag become valid subtags in
the IANA registry, then the field 'Type' in that record is changed from
'grandfathered' to 'redundant'. Note that this will not affect language
tags that match the grandfathered tag, since these tags will now match
valid generative subtag sequences. For example, if the subtag 'gan' in
the language tag "zh-gan" were to be registered as an extended language
subtag, then the grandfathered tag "zh-gan" would be deprecated (but
existing content or implementations that use "zh-gan" would remain
valid).  [Does not say this cannot happen by registering a variant.]

Section 3.6:
Subtags proposed for registration that would cause all or part of a
grandfathered tag to become redundant but whose meaning conflicts with
or alters the meaning of the grandfathered tag MUST be rejected.  [Not
the case here.]

RFC 4645, Section 2, item 8:
Tags in the [RFC3066] registry that contained one or more subtags that
either did not match the valid registration pattern or were not
otherwise defined by [RFC4646] were converted to corresponding records
of type "grandfathered" in the ILSR.  These records cannot become type
"redundant" except by revision of [RFC4646], but may have a "Deprecated"
and "Preferred-Value" field added to them if a subsequent subtag
assignment or combination of assignments renders the tag obsolete.

Section 2, item 11:
All remaining [RFC3066] registered tags were converted to records of
type "grandfathered" in the ILSR.  Interested parties may use the
registration process in [RFC4646] to attempt to register the variant
subtags not already present in the Language Subtag Registry.  If all of
the subtags in the original tag become fully defined by the resulting
registrations, then the original tag is superseded.  Such tags will have
their record changed from type "grandfathered" to type "redundant" in
the registry.  Note that previous approval of a tag under [RFC3066] is
not a guarantee of approval of a variant subtag under [RFC4646].  The
existing [RFC3066] tag maintains its validity, but the original reason
for its registration might have become obsolete.  [Describes exactly the
present situation.]

I don't see it written anyplace that there is an integrity problem.
There may be an implementation problem if applications make an
unwarranted assumption, that grandfathered tags cannot consist of a
well-formed sequence of subtags, but that is not supported by the RFCs.

> But it helped me to find a bug in my XML-converter, a reference to a
> variant subtag must not collide with a language subtag of length 5..8
> like the hypothetical "gaulish".

There is no namespace collision between language and variant subtags.  I
made a misstatement earlier about somebody needing to register 'gaulish'
as a macrolanguage; I should have said "as an umbrella term" when the
distinction between Cisalpine and Transalpine is unimportant or it is
unknown which language is present.  (Both have been extinct for 1,500+
years and the primary difference was regional, so this scenario is
plausible.)

> Adding underscores to _all_ non-primary subtag IDs (not only those
> starting with a digit) would work until 4646bis-00.  But not for
> 4646bis-01, where the Preferred-Value of an extlang can be a language.
> Odd situation:
>
> Language subtags of length 3 use the same namsepace as extlang
> subtags.  Language subtags of length 5..8 do NOT use the same
> namespace as variant subtags.  For case insensitive operations they
> also don't use the namespaces of region or script subtags.

While primary and extended language subtags do occupy the same
namespace, I'm not sure there is any reason a parser needs to care about
this.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA