Re: [magma] Multicast Router Discovery - Is it a valid solution?

Brian Haberman <brian@innovationslab.net> Fri, 05 September 2003 12:17 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 08:10:23 -0400
From: Brian Haberman <brian@innovationslab.net>
To: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Subject: Re: [magma] Multicast Router Discovery - Is it a valid solution?
Sender: magma-admin@ietf.org

Pekka Savola wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Brian Haberman wrote:
>

>>     The initial point that should probably be discussed is
>>whether people feel that the general approach defined in MRD is
>>useful for the task of finding multicast routers.
>>
>>     When MRD was first defined, no other work had started on
>>IGMP/MLD snooping.  The goal was to define a mechanism that
>>would provide switches the capability of quickly discovering
>>the location of multicast routers without having to update code
>>everytime a new routing or group management protocol came along.
>>
>>     At this point, there is also the issue that the snooping
>>draft recommends using MRD as a part of an overall switch/snooping
>>implementation.
>>

>You said "The initial point"; are followup questions to be expected on
>other points?

Yes.  If we determine that MRD accomplishes the function needed, I will
outline the open issues with it that need to be addressed.

>My brief take is that MRD seems to suffer from a case of lack of clear
>applicability.  This can be seen e.g. by looking at an extension proposed
>for it, draft-ietf-magma-mrdssm-03.txt.  That extends the use of MRD from
>snooping switches to practically every host.
>
>I think we have to be very, very careful here.  Approach like MRDSSM
>doesn't look good.

The MRD-SSM extension is not the issue.  At this point, we need to
determine whether
the base MRD spec is the correct approach.

>On the other hand, it may be useful to be able to automate the mechanism
>the snooping switches (or IGMP proxies, maybe) could use to to find the
>multicast routers.  I haven't looked closely enough in that problem space
>to see whether this kind of mechanism is really needed though.

That was the original goal of MRD.  A simple means for a switch to find
the multicast
routers.

>However, my concern is that if we're only interested in router<->snooping
>switch interaction, is this the right solution?  In particular, is the
>solution unnecessarily complex for the task to be done?

How is it complex?

>Perhaps we could just get around the problem by having the router send a
>magic multicast heartbeat packets (e.g. a probe to a designated
>224.0.0.x/24 address), using which the switches could figure out what is
>the path towards the router(s), as simple as that.

As Hugh pointed out in another follow-up, there is a need for a
capability that
allows the switch to elicit a quick response from a router rather than
waiting for
the next heartbeat.

>The hosts in the subnet could mess this up, of course, by also sending
>such packets, but that's already the case with MRD, and similar
>countermeasures would apply.

Agreed.

>So, to conclude, I'm very concerned with the direction MRD has taken, in
>particular whether it's the right way to solve this particular problem.
>But if we end up going for it anyway, I'd sugggest publishing it as
>Experimental, not PS.

Do you also think that ICMP Router Discovery should have been
Experimental?  This is
essentially the same functionality.

Or is your concern more with the proposed extensions to MRD?

Regards,
Brian