[Manet-dt] New WG I-D: TimeTLV

Thomas Clausen <Thomas.Clausen@polytechnique.fr> Thu, 29 March 2007 10:34 UTC

To: manet-dt@ietf.org
From: Thomas Clausen <Thomas.Clausen@polytechnique.fr>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:34:22 +0200
Subject: [Manet-dt] New WG I-D: TimeTLV

Folks,

As we discussed on the MANET wg meeting in Prague, we'd like to move
draft-clausen-manet-timetlv-00.txt to a WG document, intended for
publication with informational status.

To recapitulate, the I-D specifies a way by which one may represent
time, specifically such that a single time value may be represented
through a single octet, and that different time values may be
extracted as a function of the number of hops from the originator --
thereby allowing fish-eye and fuzzy-sighted mechanisms. Furthermore,
the I-D defines two general TLV types, VALIDITY_TIME and INTERVAL_TIME.

What is written in this I-D reflects the different needs of NHDP,
DYMO and OLSRv2 and provides (i) common TLV type allocations and (ii)
a common representation of time encoding.

The primary objective in moving the timeTLV text into its own
document is to allow the other documents (NHDP, SMF, OLSRv2, DYMO) to
refer to one document, rather than to replicate text between them,
and to specify general TLV types (and, thus, one TLV type assignment)
rather than to have each of the other documents request individual
types for the same entity out of the TLV typespace.

The authors of draft-clausen-manet-timetlv-00.txt feel that this
version is close to finished.

Note that the content of draft-clausen-manet-timetlv-00.txt are
generalised from RFC3626 (the time encoding) and the time TLV formats
as presented in draft-ietf-manet-nhdp and draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2.
Indeed, the exact text in draft-clausen-manet-timetlv-00.txt is
currently replicated in both draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-02 and in draft-
ietf-manet-olsrv2-03. If you've read either of these two I-Ds, you've
thus also read what is in draft-clausen-manet-timetlv-00.txt.

--
Thomas Clausen
T.Clausen@Computer.org