Re: [manet] Question on draft-ietf-manet-credit-window-02

Rick Taylor <rick@tropicalstormsoftware.com> Sat, 19 March 2016 13:51 UTC

From: Rick Taylor <rick@tropicalstormsoftware.com>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, Stan Ratliff <ratliffstan@gmail.com>, "James A. (Jim) Stevens" <james.a.stevens@rockwellcollins.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 13:51:06 +0000
Cc: MANET IETF <manet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] Question on draft-ietf-manet-credit-window-02

Lou,

As mentioned before, credit windowing is not my document, and I may have misunderstood some of the fine details, but:

I believe credits do not directly map to OTA bandwidth (where I agree headers have a massive impact with small frames), and hence sub-IP headers should not be counted.

Yes, avoiding overloading of the OTA bandwidth is the purpose, but credit-windowing attempts to solve that problem by throttling at the LAN interface to the modem rather than the RF interface, and therefore flow control should be done with metrics that make sense on the LAN side.  Yes, any smart modem is going to have to do some on-the-fly calculation of credit windows given a clever OTA compression scheme, but that's the modem's business.  In my opinion, DLEP cannot make assumptions about what happens between modems - that way madness lies...

I agree, PAUSE/PFC is a viable alternative to what is being proposed in this draft, and hence I'm watching the new proposed DLEP extensions covering it with interest, but that doesn't invalidate this approach.

Rick