Re: [manet] New Version Notification for draft-cole-manet-report-mib-00

"Cole, Robert G." <Robert.Cole@jhuapl.edu> Tue, 28 April 2009 16:06 UTC

From: "Cole, Robert G." <Robert.Cole@jhuapl.edu>
To: "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:07:30 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "macker@itd.nrl.navy.mil" <macker@itd.nrl.navy.mil>, "amorton@att.com" <amorton@att.com>
Subject: Re: [manet] New Version Notification for draft-cole-manet-report-mib-00

To all:

We had discussed this MIB at the last meeting in San Francisco.  This essentially acts as a front-end which generates local performance reports based upon specified performance counters from other co-located MIBs.  In a sense, this provides an 'RMON-lite' offline reporting capability which may be useful for devices which are somewhat autonomous in operation or connected to a network which has bandwidth constraints where polling for performance statistics is neither desirable or practical.

This eliminates the need to add these capabilities to other MANET MIBs, e.g., SMF-MIB, DYMO-MIB, etc.  Hence, I'll be pulling the ReportsGroup from the SMF-MIB and not adding the ReportsGroup to the other MIBs.

Thanks,
Bob