[manet] Loops & Specification (was: Re: draft-ietf-manet-aodvv2-12 and draft-ietf-manet-dlep-17)

ietf@thomasclausen.org Wed, 13 January 2016 09:16 UTC

From: ietf@thomasclausen.org
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:16:31 +0100
Sendlaterdate: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:16:31 +0100
To: manet <manet@ietf.org>
Subject: [manet] Loops & Specification (was: Re: draft-ietf-manet-aodvv2-12 and draft-ietf-manet-dlep-17)

Dear All,

A colleague brought my attention to this paper earlier this week:

	http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~rvg/pub/AODVloop.pdf <http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~rvg/pub/AODVloop.pdf>

I’ve scanned through it quickly, and it looks like something the WG should care about - although I admittedly have not had cycles to study it in all the glory details yet.

A highlight from the conclusion:

	"We have shown that, in contrast to common belief, sequence numbers do not
	 guarantee loop freedom, even if they are increased monotonically over time and
	 incremented whenever a new route request is generated. This was mainly achieved
	 by analysing the Ad hoc On-demand Distance Vector (AODV) routing protocol.
	 We have shown that AODV can yield routing loops"

The authors of  are also making some interesting observations on how different implementations of RFC3561 see loops due to different interpretations of the specification.

I think that much of what is in this paper would apply to v2, still, notably directly the part about sequence numbers (and indirectly, it would be worth to verify if their precognitions on the specification leading to different interpretations and different loop properties also still apply?)

Best,

Thomas