Re: [manet] [homenet] Question for you

C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com> Wed, 28 September 2011 09:20 UTC

From: C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 02:22:28 -0700
acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
Cc: "homenet@ietf.org" <homenet@ietf.org>, MANET IETF <manet@ietf.org>, "rtgwg@ietf.org" <rtgwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] [homenet] Question for you

Hi all,

This is an valuable and necessary initiative.

As I follow the ROLL WG, may I point you to some doc that have been produced by this WG, and may address some of your questions :

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-roll-protocols-survey-07 : This draft provide a good survey of several routing protocols (OSPF/IS-IS, OLSRv2, TBRPF, RIP, AODV, DYMO, DSR) and evaluate each candidate regarding metrics that are relevant for Low-power and Lossy Networks (LLNs).
I think LLNs are applicable to Homenet networks.

RFC 5826 : http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5826 ("Home Automation Routing Requirements in LLNs") : This doc designed by the ROLL WG gather some requirements regarding routing in Home environments. It may provide good input for the Homenet WG.

You may also be interested in the Building version of these requirements, in RFC5867 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5867.

I'm not an expert in Home's Networks, and they may have some different requirements than LLNs that ROLL is looking at.
Please educate me on that point.
But I think we should consider the work that have been done for such constrained devices.

Best regards,

Cédric.