Re: [manet] I-D Action:draft-ietf-manet-packetbb-sec-00.txt

Bo Berry <boberry@cisco.com> Sun, 20 June 2010 12:14 UTC

From: Bo Berry <boberry@cisco.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 08:14:06 -0400
To: manet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [manet] I-D Action:draft-ietf-manet-packetbb-sec-00.txt

Ulrich, Thomas:

Below are a few points for consideration and discussion.

Regards
-Bo Berry

In section 10.2.2.  Hash Function suggest adding  SHA-128, SHA-256,
SHA-386, SHA-512 under SHA-2.

And in section 10.2.3.  Cryptographic Algorithm, suggest adding ECC.

As noted in section 5, "Before being able to validate a cryptographic
signature, routers have to exchange keys (e.g. public keys)."  Each
router (node) may have several keys (key ring). In this case, it would
be useful to define a key index TLVs.  The Key Index TLV would be
needed when multiple keys are used.

Also suggest breaking the <signature> TLV into separate TLVs to
increase flexibility and to align with the separate <timestamp> TLV.
Nodes may wish/need to configure the hash and crypto functions when
keys are configured and would not need to carry this info in the
signature TLV.

So we could define the following TLVs:

      <key-index TLV> := <key index value>
      <hash-function TLV> := <hash function identifier>
      <cryptographic-algorithm TLV> := <crypto-algor identifier>
      <signature-value TLV> := <signature value>