Re: [manet] REPORT-MIB - a question and an offer of help to pull it across the finishing line (UNCLASSIFIED)

"Cole, Robert G CIV USARMY CERDEC (US)" <robert.g.cole.civ@mail.mil> Thu, 27 February 2014 20:55 UTC

From: "Cole, Robert G CIV USARMY CERDEC (US)" <robert.g.cole.civ@mail.mil>
To: Joe Macker <jpmacker@gmail.com>, Thomas Clausen <thomas@thomasclausen.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 20:55:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [131.64.201.78]
Cc: "<manet-chairs@tools.ietf.org>" <manet-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, MANET IETF <manet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] REPORT-MIB - a question and an offer of help to pull it across the finishing line (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Thomas, Joe,

I have not had the time lately to keep up with the REPORT-MIB (as much as I had hoped to) and am happy that there is interest in this capability.  When Joe first proposed it I thought it was a great idea and I still do think it is a valuable capability.  I would be more than happy to have others help or in fact take over ownership of this effort.  I would be glad to help to reinvigorate or transition in any way the WG deems appropriate.

That said, a bit of history.  Our first version of the REPORT-MIB was modeled after RMON2 reporting capabilities after discussions with various Operations Area folks like Bert Wijnen and Andy Bierman.  They had pointed us to previous related work in the RMON WG.  However, the scope was too extensive for an initial experimental capability, so we scoped it back.  Andy Bierman came on as a co-author to help as he was the main author of the initial RMON related capabilities.

Further discussions with Jürgen Schönwälder convinced us that a better model for the REPORT-MIB is as an extension to the work that came out of the DISMAN WG a number of years ago.  I agree with this.  So we had spent some cycles looking at DISMAN capabilities and deciding on the right way to structure the REPORT-MIB as an extension to the DISMAN set of MIBs.  I think this is the right approach and we had written down some initial thoughts on how to do this but we did not issue a revision to the draft and in fact I let it expire.

I am not able to attend the meeting in London, but I would hope and support further discussions on this topic at the WG meetings.  And as I previously mentioned I would welcome and support the WGs recommendations to best move this effort forward.

Thanks, Bob

US Army CERDEC
QUEST Program, S&TCD
APG, MD