Re: [manet] DSR and unidirectional links

Sudarshan N Raghavan <snraghav@unity.ncsu.edu> Sun, 11 August 2002 23:01 UTC

Subject: Re: [manet] DSR and unidirectional links
From: Sudarshan N Raghavan <snraghav@unity.ncsu.edu>
Cc: manet@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 18:47:06 -0500
To: Noah.H.Miller@Dartmouth.EDU
Sender: manet-admin@ietf.org

My question was not "how DSR handles unidirectional links" but "how
DSR discovers unidirectional links". There is no auto-discovery of
unidirectional links in DSR and hence it has to be "configured" for
the possibility of unidirectional links. If it is configured for
unidirectional links, a single RREQ has the possibility of trigerring
a "RREQ storm" (in addition to RREP storms) from intermediate nodes. I
want to know whether there have been any simulations to analyze DSR's
performance when configured for unidirectional links. Most of the
simulations seem to have been done over 802.11 type links that do not
take unidirectional links into account.

Regards,
Sudarshan N Raghavan
Graduate Student, Computer Sc.
North Carolina State University

>>DSR Internet Draft 7
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-dsr-07.txt)
specifies how it handles unidirectional links.

>>To configure DSR to allow unidirectional links, you must use the
DSR-level ACK REQ and ACK options for route maintenance, rather than
MAC layer acknowledgements.  802.11 won't allow unidirectional links,
but I suppose other radio links will.

>>given the network, where arrows show directionality:
>>
>>A -> B <-> C
>> |      |
>><-D<-
>>
>>For route discovery:
>>node A broadcasts an RREQ, and node B receives it.  Note that NO
acknowledgement is necessary since the RREQ is a broadcast packet.
When the target C of the RREQ replies, it will piggyback its RREP on a
new RREQ back to the initiator, node A, of the route discovery.  Two
routes get set up:
>>A->B<->C  and
>>C<->B->D->A
>>
>>For Source Routed data transmission:
>>Node A unicasts a packet to node B.  The network has been configured
for the possibility of the link A->B being unidirectional, so it sends
a DSR-level ACK either along a cached route back to A (such as
B->D->A), or initiates route discovery back to A.  A thus receives
next-hop confirmation through an indirect route.