Re: [manet] AODVv2 MetricType TLV discussion

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com> Mon, 09 March 2015 11:16 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Henning Rogge <hrogge@gmail.com>, Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 11:15:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Cc: MANET IETF <manet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] AODVv2 MetricType TLV discussion

As Henning says on most points.

It's worth, I think, commenting on OLSRv2, not because I'm saying you should do it the same way, but because it may be worth understanding why we did it the way we did, so you can see whether similar considerations apply, or not (some points, clearly not).

We also have a special case zero, not for hop count (because we did not want to encourage hop count, rather the reverse) but for administratively configured.

We have all metric types to be handled the same way, so the OLSRv2 code itself is metric agnostic, it just needs to be told which number to use. As Henning notes, we have the advantage of only handling link metrics. The compressed form we have satisfied people's requirements for low bandwidth while still having a 24 bit dynamic range (24 as then path metrics fit is 32 bits). That we have four kinds of metric made it all fit very conveniently for us.

We do have a metric type TLV. That arose for two reasons. First, we were putting metrics into NHDP HELLO messages, and we weren't allowed (by ourselves as much as anyone, but Justin was one person driving this) to assume that we were the only user of the HELLO message, so we needed a "this is an OLSRv2-aware HELLO message" anyway, and adding the metric type to that added one byte. Second, we were planning ahead to multitopology (Stan being keen on this) and while we hadn't designed MT yet, that gave us something we would later need.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Information Assurance Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687