Re: [manet] Route selection for reactive protocols in draft-wakikawa-manet-globalv6-05.txt

"Anders Nilsson" <andersn@telecom.lth.se> Mon, 17 April 2006 16:56 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:55:18 +0200
Subject: Re: [manet] Route selection for reactive protocols in draft-wakikawa-manet-globalv6-05.txt
From: Anders Nilsson <andersn@telecom.lth.se>
To: Youngmin Kim <ymkim92@gmail.com>
Cc: manet@ietf.org, ryuji@sfc.wide.ad.jp

Hi,

This section relates to the use of default routes. If a node finds the
default route during routing table lookup, the node can send a route
request to determine whether the destination is located within the MANET,
or if it resides in the Internet. If this is the first the time the node
is communicating with the destination, the node can not know where the
destination is located, assuming flat address hierarchy, and the default
route will always be found after it has been setup.
The node therefore has to know if it has done this search before. If it
doesn't know this, it will send a RREQ every time it receives a new packet
from the upper layers to be routed, which probably happens quite often as
most traffic sources tend to generate more than just one packet.

I hope this helps,

Anders